AMD to overspend or not overspend?

lol, yeah, that's what i'm talking about. The only CPU's i consider worth getting right now are the socket-754 Sempron 2600, Athlon 64 3000 Venice, and the FX-55. They all can be overclocked to the top of their range.

SirVal said:
Well hey there folks me again with another query!
Ok, buying a new system soon, was going to spend £1500 but then got caught up in aload of stuff, and I think its sensible that I lower the budget to around £1050, which is a much more realistic amount.
I've sacrificed the Geforce 7800, and substituted it for a 256 mb 6800GT, it's a small drop considering, then it came to the proccessor, hmm the problems start. My original choice was the AMD 4400 dual core but now it comes to it, i've seen many users on here who use the AMD 3500+ which sounds like it runs great, faster when overclocked. So what i'm wondering is, is it worth spending all this extra when I don't need the power yet, heck it'd be nice to say i've got it but its alot of extra cost which I expect won't be needed for a long time. I believe anyway i'll be getting an FX-57 during the coming years when I actually need it, along with a new graphics card to 'keep up with the times', I'm a heavy gamer, I love my games on max settings and I still feel I can fulfill what I want with these components. The specs will be (for those who care):
2GB Dual Channel Memory (2x1GB), AMD 64 3500+ Venice core, Geforce 6800GT.
I know your all very opinionated so please feel free to tell me what you think.

Cheers

First off, don't get an FX-57.... the dual core are the FAR better option. Dual core beats single core into the ground no matter if the FX-57 ran at 4GHz. Besides, you can OC the 4400+ to 2.8GHz with good cooling.

Those specs are VERY GOOD. I am dually impressed. The 7800GTX is an awesome card, but a bit expensive ATM for most people. The 6800GT will suit your needs quite well for right now.

Well after our discussion yesterday DarkBlade I'm getting the same CPU and RAM but i've gone back to getting a 7800GTX, that was your advice afterall.
So yeah, systems specs will be:
AMD 64 3500 + Venice core (May get 3800+ undecided)
2GB Dual channel memory, most likely DDR400
and the cherry - Geforce 7800GTX

It's going to be SLi but i'm only getting on 7800GTX for now, obvious reasoning
Also cause its 939 pin, in a year or so i'll upgrade to a dual core proccessor.

Val

AMD are releasing new sockets next year, i've heard, so i don't know how future-proof your system will be.

And don't go any higher than a 3500+, or you might as well go for an FX model.

I would definetly change your processor to the dual core one. As the consoles are dual core, it won't be long until pc games are written for 2 processors.
When this happens, a dual core processor will be much faster.
As for the graphics card, I would try and stretch to the 7800gtx- it will be much faster as new graphics engines are released.

Back
Top Bottom