amd or p4 processor?

trollmaster69

Baseband Member
Can anyone tell me which processor is faster?

number one:

Processor Type: AMD Athlon 64 2.2GHz

number two:

Processor Type: Intel Pentium D 930 Dual Core 3.0GHz

I would also like to know which processor (amd) or (intel) is better and why the amd's 2.2GHz is even comparable to the intel's 3.0GHz when the GHz is less?

The Athlon 64 is owned due to the fact that the Pentim D is dualcore.

The reason they compare it to a single core is that, let's take for example:

AMD Atlhon 64 3500+
vs
Pentium 4 Prescott 3.00GHZ

The 3500+ will show 2.4 (Not quite sure of the stock speed) but the effective speed will equal to a generic 3.5GHZ CPU

a 3.00GHZ CPU from intel will have the effective speed of 3.0 or 3.2. 3.2 as for Hyper Threading.

The reason AMD is equivelent (or faster) than a higher clocked intel is because of the FSB. An intel P4 has an FSB of 800Mhz where as an AMD athlon 64 has a 1000Mhz... FSB is basically the speed at which a proc communicates with the rest of the components (i.e. Ram, motherboard, and GPU)

also AMDs use a different architecture than an intels... the FSB (sometimes called HTT on AMDs) is a little more efficient on top of the higher speed

Bob94571 said:
The reason AMD is equivelent (or faster) than a higher clocked intel is because of the FSB. An intel P4 has an FSB of 800Mhz where as an AMD athlon 64 has a 1000Mhz... FSB is basically the speed at which a proc communicates with the rest of the components (i.e. Ram, motherboard, and GPU)

also AMDs use a different architecture than an intels... the FSB (sometimes called HTT on AMDs) is a little more efficient on top of the higher speed

AMD doesnt have a FSB, they use Hypertransport instead. It gives a theoretical amount of bandwidth, it is similar to FSB, but different in many ways.

Back
Top Bottom