AMD or AM2 ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

sumik

In Runtime
K, I had my mind set on AMD 4400+ and 2 GB OCZ PLatinum and Asus A8N - SLI Mobo, but now I see that AM2 came out, and it's different socket and u need different Ram as well. So I'm confused right now. This will b my first custom build and I don't know much about specs to find out if it's really worth to step up to AM2 setup ??? Should I just stick with what i wanted to build from beggining or should I upgrade to AM2, also what CPUs r good from AM2 in no more than $600 price range ?

am2 is a flop :(
i wouldn't even suggest that to my worst enemy.

i'd go x2 however instead of the single core you were lookin' at.
many many more options for mobo than am2 (that work great!) plus...ddr2 sucks imo
or...if you want ddr2 that bad..wait for new intel conroe that "supposidly" work great with it to form your final decision.

I'd wait, july 23'rd is the date that the AMD's x2 prices will drop, AM2/ S939 doesn't make any diffrence at the moment when it comes to performence-wise, but probably AM2 is the way to go for future upgradability.

There is always the possibility of the reverse hyperthreading that's built into the AM2's being true. If that's the case then one would be better off going AM2 if they were deciding between socket 939 and AM2

Yoad said:
I'd wait, july 23'rd is the date that the AMD's x2 prices will drop, AM2/ S939 doesn't make any diffrence at the moment when it comes to performence-wise, but probably AM2 is the way to go for future upgradability.

I fully agree, the only upgrades (well the major ones) that the AM2 offers uis that its mroe energy efficient and it fully supports DDR2. AMD put ALOT of time into developing the memory controllers on the 939 socket, which handles DDR VERY well. Currently the difference is negligable, but in a couple of years when its more developed (and cheaper) it might be worth it to switch.

Also stated earlier was to go with a X2 after 7/23. This is exactly what Im going to do. Dual core at a lower clock (which can be OC'd) is going to be much better than a singel core at a higher clock (I definitly plan on OC'ing, so I should have the best of both worlds).

And even with the idea of RHT, I think it will stil take a couple years for it to be perfected so that it works all the time at its fullest capacity. (i.e. let other people work out all the kinks)

then why not save the cash and just buy an am2? There isn't any performence diffrence between the two, if any, am2 is a little better IMO.

O.T.: hey nitestick, please drop by in my post about water cooling kits incase you haven't notice it yet, I'd like to hear you'r opinion.

will am2 proccesser prices drop with the conroe release? not just dual core ones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom