AMD heatspreader

gamja.namja

Baseband Member
If I read correctly, the big metal plate that you can see on the AMD chips (like the AMD 4000+) is not the actually chip, it's the heatspreader, right?

So, if I accidentally got some scratches on this, would it adversely affect cpu performance or cooling? Cause i'm kinda worried....

and btw, is 38C at idle with the zalman cnps7700 cpu cooler and AMD 4000+ acceptable? Cause I keep reading posts where people have 27C idle

My friend has the same thing I believe, and his 3000+ runs as 35C, or 39C now after I helped him OC it to 2.0GhZ.

Gamja, that temperature might be slightly warm, but is perfectly within limits.

Also, if you got a scratch on it, I would think that it would actually HELP cool it - by scratching it, you've made a greater surface area for heat to dissipate, albeit only very, very slightly. There would almost definitely be no noticeable change in temperature from a scratch. (I'm assuming that this scratch is not on the surface that contacts the CPU. If it is on the CPU contact surface, that is BAD.) So long story short, you're all good.

hmm, by cpu contact surface, do you mean the inside of the heatspreader? or the part on the outside that sits right on top of the cpu?

and if so, where does the heatspreader touch the cpu?

The part that comes in direct contact with the CPU. The heatsink contacts the CPU at the bottom of the heatsink.

nah, of course not

I wouldn't see how that would be possible though, unless you take off the metal thing

Back
Top Bottom