AMD Board help

biferi

Daemon Poster
I have an AMD CPU Athlon x 2 7850

My Motherboard is an AMD a780gm AMD 780G
Northbridge amd780g
southbridge amd sb700

What I need help with is this.

When I look up Hypertransport they say the AMD CPU is connected to Main Memory directly and niot the Northbridge.

So the AMD and RAM are connected to one another.

But the CPU is connected to the Southebridge because everything else is still connected to the southbridge I get this.

But the AMD CPU some say is connected to the Northbridge because is still connected to the Southbridge.

And some say there is no Northbridge anymore just a Southbridge and the AMD CPU is connected to the Southbridge by way of a Tunal.

I am lost?????

If there is no northbridge then how does the AMD CPU connect to the southbridge????

And my Board says it hjas a north and southbridge.

Please explaine in your own words if you can

I did go to the web site and I think I get some of it.

The AMD CPU has a memory contralor in it so the CPU can be connected to memory directly I get this.

But is the CPU still connected to the Northbridge and how??

The Dyagram got m a little mixed up.

Am I right that the Northbridge is still connected to the AGP and PCI Express and CPU?

Just tell me this first?

Everything is connected to the CPU. either via South Bridge or North.

NB is to the PCI-E and AGP, as you were stating, that is correct.

thank you for all the help.

Just to see if I have it now.

The AMD CPU is connected directly to Main Memory.

And the AMD CPU is connected directly to the Northbridge and the Northbridge is connected to the PCI E and AGP.

And the Northbridge is connected directly to the Southbridge and the Southbridge is connected to everything else.

Is all of this right???

Thank you so the hypertransport BUS is the I/O BUS all the other devices connected to the Southbridge and the link between the North and Soubrigde.

Now one other thing I have been readding that got me mixed up I hope you can explane it to me.
They say some Hypertransport BUSs have like a 2 GB Data Transfer.

This can't be right can it everything in a system is 32 Bits wide or max 664 Bits wide.

Please explane>>>????

2GB data transfer dosnt mean thats how wide it is. that just means how much info it can carry in a given time.

Well this is what I ment.

I am runing Two sticts of DDR2 800 MHz memory not in Daul CH.

Now I know that the BUS going right to the AMD CPU from the Memory is not going through the Northbridge anymore it is going right to the CPU.

And AMD calls this the Memory BUS.

And I know that my Memory will only send and take in Data at 800 MHz I get this.

But what is the Speed of the Memory BUS going from the AMD CPU to the memory?

Back
Top Bottom