Amd Athlon Socket 939?

Yeah, socket A is 462, mainly the AMD Athlon 1500+ I think.

Good ol' soclet 478 is what I use - never been a bitch to me!

so you wouldnt need a new motherboard for the new amd socket would you? i lack knowledge in this area so i don't know

I have Socket a right now

AMD Athlon 3000 XP+

and is the only diff from the amd 64 3000 is more puns and higher bus?

joepic said:
so you wouldnt need a new motherboard for the new amd socket would you? i lack knowledge in this area so i don't know

Yes you would, the new socket uses 1024 pins I believe, so a processor with 939 pins would not fit.

ah, i see. thanks. what if i stay with 939? would the new socket be more expensive? and would you need newer processors for the new socket after it's released? or can you still have say an x2 3800 on the new 1024 pin socket...? i don't know, i'm not very clear with this. but thanks

Ok, the new sockets can only use the new processor...you cant have a processor with 939 pins, and put it in a socket with 1024 pins.

939 will go for years, its a good socket.

You will need a new processor for the new socket - and it will be alot more expensive

All I know is that for future projects, I am going to the Intel Pentium D cores...non 64-bit if possible.

lhuser said:
All I know is that for future projects, I am going to the Intel Pentium D cores...non 64-bit if possible.

Im sticking with Intel as well, a nice intel though.

joxley1990 said:
Yes you would, the new socket uses 1024 pins I believe, so a processor with 939 pins would not fit.

Socket F has 1024 pins, and that is for the server workstation platform. AM2 uses 940 pins, but it has a different pin out than the regular S940.

Back
Top Bottom