amd 64 oc trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible that his type of mobo doesn't want him overclocking at all? Still seems weird...

When you go to change it, do you actually hit ENTER to pick a number or use the + and - keys? I've seen where people hit ENTER to pick a number and the screen won't load right. Try using + and - and tell us what happens. Also, you'll need to lower the HT multiplier when you raise the FSB. Look at the overclocking guide to find out what to do with it, or just search tech-forums for it (we've answered this in the past).

EDIT: By the way, I meant the + and - keys on the number pad. Make sure your numlock is on if it isn't working that way too.

thanks for the + - tip works good. The multiplier is working now to...no clue why. :) Now when ociing how high should the multiplier be. Like do i raise the multiplier all the way then slowly raise the fsb?

Okay - First off Wayniac is right, GB motherboards seem to hate overclocking with a vengeance.

Fortunately for you crap6892, I recently got duped into buying a GB mainboard, so I may be able to help :)

The first thing I'll always do on a GB board is press CTRL+F1 at the main screen, this enables all the (Sorely limited) features in the bios, and I know in the older (pre 64) boards it enables the overclocking options, which did precisely nothing for me beforehand (except FSB)

Like Elbatrop said, the CPU multiplier is locked, so that's out for overclocking (not entirely, but too difficult for me to risk just yet) However, FSB and RAM timings are still available for overclock.

Just a couple of questions to let me better help you;
1: Does this Gigabyte board come with a RAM timings 'Auto' option? They usually do, in the CTRL+F1 options, right above cas latency and other RAM timings.
2: FSB doesn't seem to change? Are you sure you're saving your settings? Thats quite unusual.

Also, about using a different BIOS from another motherboard, Please Don't. Seriously. Most programs won't let you install an incorrect one, but still. Just Don't. OK?

Yes gigabyte does seem to hate overclockers. But the options i can get are cpur oc in mhz
agp oc in mhz
k8 cpu clock ratio
cpu votage control
agp votage control
ht-link voltage control
ddr voltage control

i have tried control+f1 at the tweaker screen and nothing changes

Also by using crt+ f1 i can get to advanced chipset features. I can contol the ram timings and max overclock of ram i believe it said

I believe the highest your multiplier can be is 9 (I have the same processor). Make sure it is at 9 and slowly raise the FSB. You may have to resort to dividers to make sure the RAM does not go too high. It is best to just overclock one thing at a time (in this case, CPU now and RAM later). Just make sure you're RAM does not go too high (if you've got DDR 400, then make sure it doesn't go over 210 MHz I'd say before turning to a divider). Your FSB should be able to go up quite a bit. Also, make sure the HT multiplier times the FSB does not exceed 1000. You'll need to lower it as the FSB goes up.

When you get a stable overclock, then you can try to overclock the RAM if you want to. To do that, you'll want to keep the CPU around its base clock speed so if something errors, you know it isn't the CPU. As you increase the FSB, lower the CPU multiplier and keep it around its original clock speed. If you successfully overclocked in the first part to about 2.2 GHz or so, then try to keep the clock speed between 1.8 and 2 or 2.1 GHz or so. When overclocking RAM, you'll need to also adjust timings and loosen them as your RAM becomes faster, and eventually make it 2T instead of 1T for stability. Overclocking RAM is quite a bit more confusing than overclocking the CPU, so for now, I'd just get the CPU overclocked and leave the RAM alone until you read up on it and know what you're doing.

I managed to get my FSB to 260 before with no problems, but I put it back at 250 so I could have my HT multiplier at 4... that and I was more comfortable with it there. Anyway, it depends on what motherboard you have really. Some motherboards don't like high FSB speeds, and other motherboards can handle it fine.

If you can raise the CPU multiplier to 10, try that and see what happens. Then use the FSB method to make it go even higher.

I dunno how far the Gigabyte board will let him go, with mine it stops at 200MHz FSB and from previous experience with GB I doubt they will have the option to raise your settings higher than the highest CPU available at time of bios release.

I could be wrong of course. Here's hoping :)
Good luck crap, I think wayniac can help you better from here than me, so I'll post much less.

Right now my ram is at 168 and my cpu is at 2.21 idle and 36 celcius idle. Thanks for all the help:D

Yeah, sounds good. What is your FSB at? Also, you should be able to get your RAM to 200 MHz (if it is DDR 400 RAM) with that overclock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom