Almost new system locks on 50% of bootup

righty1

Solid State Member
I have a a fairly new HP pavilion. It is running WIn XP Home Edition. When it starts up it will go to the users screen and you pick which user is logging in and put their password in. About half the time you boot it up it just about locks up at the sign on screen. It takes forever. If I shut it down and reboot it may work fine, it will go through the log on screen as if it were brand new. Then I shut it down and reboot it and it may or may not lock again at the sign on screen. It has a 2.6 p4 and 512 DDR with a 120g hard drive.
What I am also seeing is that when this happens the keyboard and mouse lock up, but the cursor is still flashing at the password location and if I just touch the power button it goes to the screen that windows is shutting down. So the system is not really locked up but something is locking the mouse and keyboard.
Any ideas what is causing this to happen to the mouse and keyboard?
I have run updated antivirus, no viruses present. I have run Spy Sweeper and cleared all cookies and adware. Any ideas???

Check what programs are running and check what you have set to start up in ms config and the registry. It will be some program running that is locking up your system.

I called HP and they said it was because I wasn't using the HP keyboard. I was using an older PS/2 IBM. So I hooked up a new Microsoft keyboard and it never locked up after that. So I guess it was that the system didn't like the keyboard.

righty said:
I called HP and they said it was because I wasn't using the HP keyboard. I was using an older PS/2 IBM. So I hooked up a new Microsoft keyboard and it never locked up after that. So I guess it was that the system didn't like the keyboard.
OK. Have you got another one you can use?

righty said:

Wow, thats a bit wierd! Maybe it just wants a USB Keyboard and doesn't want a PS/2 one?

Back
Top Bottom