Allowing .exe files in a network...?

cbachinger

In Runtime
Would you as an administrator, depending on the file's purpose or source, agree to download an .exe file to an individual's computer within your network, scan it with the latest virus patches (regardless of the program) and then allow it to be opened either by you or the individual?

Yes, because I use a good corperate firewall package that scans all files as they pass through it, and stops infected files.

www.winroute.com

if you are that worried about stuff like that getting into your network you have some serious auditing to do.

cbachinger said:
Would you as an administrator, depending on the file's purpose or source, agree to download an .exe file to an individual's computer within your network, scan it with the latest virus patches (regardless of the program) and then allow it to be opened either by you or the individual?

I manage a small LAN at work.
I would allow it yes, Im using ZoneAlarm Suite with Web Filtering,
which allows you to control most aspects of your LAN and the Internet.

I have monitoring software on my LAN ... I keep a good eye on my
users with Remote PC access software such as Radmin.

My small LAN consists of a Firewall, Web Filter, Remote Access Software & an Anti-Virus Application.

The job of an Administrator is to keep an eye out on what files are been downloaded and used per workstation regardless of whether it be an EXE or any other file format.

yes i would simply because i would have faith in my firewall and av and also if it is a office i would have to have faith in my coleagues.

I agree with a few of you; I also wouldnt worry about downloading certain files as long as you use recommended and good programs.

It is just my school's IT depart. that has VERY stringent rules and i cant remember the last time they really allowed it ever since we had our last major virus attack.

The attack was due to the schools failure of having a backup firewall, while the default windows firewall failed due to technical reasons (network and internet connection and security offered by Trend Micro Office Corporate). The school network was open to attack and so a global virus attack infected the whole network. Now I believe they are too scared to do almost anything to be downloaded unless it is system updates.

I can understand that with global virus's, no network is usually safe, but i thought that the steps that the administrator took to ensure safety at all times was really pathetic. If i was one, I would have a backup in case.

Even when having a good firewall and virus program, that should still allow our administrator (ignoring technical policies) to allow us certain downloads; eg, updates for independant programs we may have.

What do u think?

I think a one man crusade against school policies is destined for failure...

but fight the machine etc... you have a technically good argument.
if the files were vetted, and if they were downloaded responsibly, and if they had legitimate use...

however the problem is you aren't the only student at your school, it'd be hard to police, and at the moment, just not lettnig anyone download files is easier than letting a select few people, or a select few files.

i fully agree with you, that controlling all is easier then policing everyone.

I just feel that the school is too scared about downloading. And its coz they didnt take extra possible precautions in the past.

Correct me if im being too harsh.

hmmmmm,

It's an odd one.. I mean I sid the firewall/proxy we use here at work is good...

it's good but it's also expensive, expensive because we are paying for features such as the virus scanner integration for all traffic,

it's doubtfull that the school will pay for this, and would go with a free package like shorewall and squid... so they may just not have the means possible to have a more relaxed filtering system

i agree with you there too.

Obviously the school will want to keep as cheap as possible; its just a pity that the cheaper packages (eg. trend micro scan), may not provide as better protection as others do and so have to be extra careful.

Back
Top Bottom