Air conditioning ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope, he posted a picture of the type of unit I was speaking of, I would never suggest a portable.

To clarify, OP lives at home.

Family dislikes idea of compressor unit being out front or seen from the front.

Window can NOT take a regular AC unit.

This leaves him with two options, a unit like I said, (look at the picture he posted) or a portable, which is a horrible option IMO.

Units like the one I posted about are great, but, as I said, the compressor can't be too far away, you do have to run copper lines that entire distance, and insulate them, I know of a few OLD schools that had units like this installed in my area, they had all the compressors on the roof and the evaporator (I think thats what the internal coils are called) in each class room. Great units, can be found cheap, but, if you have the money get a high quality one that will make it worth while.

This site calls it a Split Air Conditioner, very similar to Central Air, but, it doesn't contain duct work, and is meant for large single rooms, or small multiple rooms. Installation of the Split Air Conditioners: Deciding the Location of Indoor and Outdoor Units

Yeah you get the idea corrosive. When i want to Majorca on holiday they had two expensive Fujitsu of those type of split air conditioners, it was 35 to 45c every day on vacation but they did a spectacular job. They cooled the room to 14c if we wanted to without much of a problem. I would love that. But i have a feeling they were expensive units, they had all sorts of settings and fancy stuff. The vacation after i went to Spain and again it was 40c throughout the holiday, we had 3 portable units where you had to shove a pipe out the window, suffice to say they were a pile of crap. They took a bucket of water out the air every 4 hours yet they only dropped the temperature to about 25c.

edit:

And yeah i just changed the word Holiday to Vacation.. vacation is the right word, right ? My American isn't too great.

Just a few things to rember rebel colonists, air con units in England are uncommon,we don't have the vertical sliding windows you seem to favor and our wall's are mostly brick not the easy to alter wood frame construction you have, also most American shops either wont or can't ship to the UK and also don't have a British market presence and if they do they are not the same shop.

Oh and before I forget we use 230 volt and you are on 110 volt.

True that. Sliding windows sounds like a death trap for my hands. I don't like the idea of that. Although i live in a house that was built in 2001 and let me tell you it is not built like the traditional english house.. metal and plasterboard stud walls. When i was a kid i was playing a game with my friends and managed to chuck a foam and plastic baseball bat through the entire wall into the room opposite. Really lame.

Most split units, as far as I know, run on 220-230 AC, well, I know for a fact 90% of the time the outside units are 220, even here in the states some units require 220, our entire furnace/ac system requires 220.

The units are rather expensive (cheap if it's really your only option), but, I am sure they are available for you people on the other side of the pond. :p

I looked up a unit one time, as we needed a closet in a building to be chilled far below what was enjoyable, the unit was really small, and this is a server closet, the unit costed about $500, so a system big enough for a room could end up being quiet expensive.

But, it all boils down to features, and how much copper line has to be ran from the compressor to the inside half of the unit, copper lines is what will kill you, and labor, as a professional does need to install a unit of this type.

I honestly, would look at basic systems, you don't really need all sorts of bells and features, but, having a unit that operates quietly, has a good filter, and maybe a remote control, makes life easy in the end, and enjoyable, plus, you have the option to open your window and turn the AC off in the summer if you want some fresh outside air inside for once, that is something you give up when you have a window unit.

Portable Air Conditioner KYD/32 Air con 3Kw

i was referring to something like that. it has a thing that goes into the window (or just out a door) and duct work to bring fresh air into the AC unit.

they aren't the best because a lot of power that could be used to cool the air is lost sucking the air into the unit.

i feel that would be a better idea because it doesn't involve busting through walls to run duct work.

The split system doesn't require "busting" through walls either, usually three holes, one for the copper lines, one for electrical outside, and the last one for water to drain outside.

My Heat load came out at 4.4KW if i assumed everything ran at full power. Probably about 30percent less realistically.

Doing the work really isn't the problem. I just need it to be in the £500 range, maybe a bit more, and one that will actually work. I don't need it to turn my room into a fridge. Just make it a bit cooler.. like 18, 19, 20c. It's better than the 32c it gets to most days. My house is new, with all wall insulation and stuff to meet the new government requirements and crap. So it stays hot easily.

I don't really know how much good that calculator is. How does it know how efficient them items are ? it could be totally off. Basically in my room i have..:
1x PC in sig (Fermi is HAWT).
2x Monitors
1x LCD TV
1x Projector (Pumps out heat like.. a heater)
1x Xbox 360
1x Nintendo Wii
1x PS3
2x Powered 150W Speakers - but they only get 'hot' after continued loud listening, which is rare.
1x Energy efficient ceiling light
1x Energy efficient lamp

So quite a bit to heat my room up. Which is the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom