AI system manager

danhodge

In Runtime
First things first, I'm aware that this is a ridiculously large job that has already been done much better than I could ever do by existing software, this is just a learning project.

So, I want to create an AI for my linux laptop, that has complete OS functionality (can open programs, shut down, etc), can take voice commands, and the potential for any other hardware/software interactions. I imagine Linux is the best choice for this, and once I get a raspberry pi, I'd like to move it onto there and work on that.

But I've never done any programming on Linux (i've no idea what language to use), and i've never done a project like this, so I have no idea where to start really.

So, my question is, what language would you recommend, are there any libraries/extensiony things that could be useful for this, and do you have any general hints?
I'm wanting to learn a new language anyway. I only have experience with C# in Windows so far, i reckon it's time to expand my horizons a bit.

Thanks a lot,
Danny

If you're experienced in C#, may want to look into Java...but not sure how much "OS" stuff you can do with Java...so you may have to venture into C++ (or both).

I take it there isn't anything stopping me from using C++ in Linux? I'd always associated the C languages with Windows to be honest. Would be nice if I'm wrong, I need to learn C++ for next year of Computer Science anyway :)

C/C++ are more Linux than Windows, really. They're cross-platform languages though. The only C-style language that's associated with Windows is C# because it's .NET based. Though, there is the Mono project which allows using C#/.NET on *nix.

Oh fantastic, I'll definitely be giving that a go then! I thought they were all .NET tbh, clearly I know less about this than I thought :silly:
Thanks a lot for the help, much appreciated!

Actually, can you interact with Windows like that using C++? Like making your program open up another program, stuff like that...

Last edited:
From a .NET application, or what?

You can make C++ applications in Windows once compiled as an EXE. You can call C++ from .NET as well, by using PInvoke, I believe.

Back
Top Bottom