Ahh spring, that time of year when you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

C0RR0SIVE

Golden Master
CLEAN, or well, get dirtier, depends on if ya own a jeep or a car I guess.

So, what does everyone do this time of year maintence/cleaning wise on there cars/trucks?

Me, well, this is all I do.

WASH, not just a cheapo car wash, but, I generally wash the bottom of my car, wheel wells, and just about everything else that comes into contact with winter salt.

Claybar, LOVE doing this, it's fun, but very, very time consuming.

Wax, well, that's day #2 for me, car sits in the garage, so I don't really worry too much about it over night.

I then usually check my headlights, they are plastic, and tend to yellow, all plastic yellows after 10 years, I usually take a small layer of the plastic off with some wet sanding and 2000 grit sand paper, and then use a plastic polish with some UV inhibitors.

Replace all broken bulbs, check tires, replace break pads and have the rotors turned.

Change my oil (it gets gold in winter and I don't even bother changing my oil personally, though this winter I had heat in the garage), among other fluids if needed.

I check my plugs, don't replace them unless they need it, but I do change my wires/boots.

I grease all my bearings/joints to help push the old dirty grease out and get any dirt thats gotten into a ball join or tie rod end out so it don't wear out.

Then, to the inside, I usually use an actual steam cleaner on the carpet, I don't worry about the water as well, your supposed to suck it out and not much ever gets down there, on top of it all, what wires are under the carpet, usually aren't exposed in a way that can cause issues, and most cars have a thick rubber liner protecting those computers that they like to throw under seats.

Clean the windows, apply a bit of Rain X on the outside to help repel the water, replace my wiper blades, and shine the dash up.

Well it's still not very springy in new hampshire, so I'm gonna wait to actually accomplish my list, especially with a late march storm generally rolling through, but when the temps hit 60~65 by about noon on a weekend day I'll be out there for sure.

Full wash, wheels, wheel wells, not as much underneath but spray it down for sure, followed up by a nice wax.
clean out the interior, lots of gravel, sand, salt and mud on the carpets, beat those on the driveway for about 20 minutes each to get all the loose dirt and dust out, vacuum everything, do stuff to the leather seats, clean the inside of the windshield, all the windows, dust the AC vents, and all those silly little nooks and crannies that the swedish decided to engineer into my volvo.
clean out all the pockets and holders of dunkin donuts napkins, bags and reciepts, clean under the seats, (usually get enough spare change to get an iced coffee as a nice little reward) vacuum out the boot, take the winter tires off, change the oil, and that's about it.

it's always nice to have a fresh clean car and then go out for a nice spring drive.

I think I am going to die... One of the worst things to happen, 5 inchs of water in the trunk... My subs, boxs, carpeting is all ruined and molded.... The joys of a freaken VENT busting off in the trunk...

That sucks man. I'm going to be giving my truck a thorough washing, clay bar and waxing. Really need to clean the carpet, leather and windows. Might get a new air filter depending on how dirty this one is. Polish the chrome bumpers and nerf bars. Though it's all going to have to wait a bit longer as we still have a couple of feet of snow on the ground.

Spring means allergies which means I am miserable. Not even prescription strength allergy meds work for me :sad: I usually just have to deal or stay inside with the windows shut.

Getting new rims and summer tires this spring :cool:. Also have the whole maintenance thing going.

I think I'll wait about another month to start. Still the odd snowy day here.

throw some of these baddies on your car
rims.jpg

The trunk seals along with a vent that should keep water out, but allow air to circulate failed, so its been damp all winter it appears, and I guess when I washed my car, i kinda flooded the trunk... :( Carpet is sitting out, boxes and subs are a total loss, ($850), hopefully, I can steam the carpets clean, and sanitize the trunk, i've done removed the old seal and put a new one in with some serious amounts of silicone, and sealed off the vent for good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom