AGP 8X card in AGP 4X slot

iamroot

Daemon Poster
I have a motherboard with an AGP 4X slot and i'm interested in buying a new graphics card but i see that all of the latest cards are all AGP 8X. I would like to know if an 8x card can be used with my 4x motherboard.

Yeah you can most of the say agp x2 + i put a agp x8 card into my bros pc which is agpx4 . There is actually not a big diffrence in profomace from agp x4 to agp x8

Yeah, it would, but probably best to buy an AGP 4x which would be cheaper. You won't notice any difference because the Computer won't take it anyway.

iamroot said:
I have a motherboard with an AGP 4X slot and i'm interested in buying a new graphics card but i see that all of the latest cards are all AGP 8X. I would like to know if an 8x card can be used with my 4x motherboard.

It will work like the others have said, it will just drop the card down to 4X. Thats what happened to my FX5600 when i put it in my old mobo :)

Lord Kalthorn said:
Yeah, it would, but probably best to buy an AGP 4x which would be cheaper. You won't notice any difference because the Computer won't take it anyway.
Right,last i heard nothing need 8x.
This also requires an 8x capeable Motherboard anyway.
Stand pat till your sure.

bluto said:
Right,last i heard nothing need 8x.
This also requires an 8x capeable Motherboard anyway.
Stand pat till your sure.

They don't - but they will. And buying this now may mean that you can use it in another MOotherboard later on - but still? A 4x is cheaper than a 8x and you'll never be able to use that 8x with the motherboard you have anyway. So why bother?

Its basically like the others have said.

You can use a 4x AGP in 8X AGP slots

You wont be able to run at the full speed though is you use 4X

Also I have notice that when I upgrade my customers systems
there are two types of AGP slot ( you can tell by the notches)

If you card has 1 notch, check your systemboard will work
with it.(The card will not plug into the AGP slot)

All new AGP gards now have 2 notches to be compatible.

For the best deals on Computers & hardware visit www.academycomputers.co.uk

There should be no problem at all. 8X is just the band width. the thing to check is the voltage settings the board and card use as they should match.

Back
Top Bottom