AGP 4x

Status
Not open for further replies.

GageMW

Daemon Poster
Will an agp 8x card work with and old agp 4x slot? it would have to work at a reduced speed right?

Yes, i believe so. I have an AGP x8 6200 in my AGP x4 motherboard and it works fine but i hear there is a reduced preformance yes. Id wait for someone else to confirm it though ;)

tom

Just went and checked, it does.
but is a evga 6200 going to be an improvement over a fx 5200? its worth trying for the $25 it costs i think.

it will only work if your mobo says its AGP slot can do 4x/8x, there are some old mobo out there from the day dont just cant work with 8x. but most of the time 4x and 8x will work like you both said just reduced preformance.

If you are only paying $25 go for it. AGP is backward compliant but that 8x card will only have half the bandwidth. the older AGP cards will not work in newer systems because of the voltage differences and the new AGP pro slots are configured (3 openings at the AGP interface on the newer cards vs 2 on the older cards) differently and the older cards will not fit into 4x/8x AGP slots. :)

my 6200 has shown a vast improvement over my old card - it was an mx420 though. you may as well for $25.

tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom