After Affects of Worm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay,
Dave is this a home-built system or a OEM type machine (Compaq, Dell, IBM, etc.)?

You basically need to go into BIOS/CMOS setup and go to "boot options" then change the primary boot device to "IDE CD-rom" This is a little bit different depending on what type of PC you have.

If you are sure you don't want to do this, have your friend do it when he comes over. this will allow you to boot to CD and install Windows XP pro, which will solve your problem.

Usually it takes a few confirmation steps to actually change something in there so if this is all you do, you shouldn't mess it up.

This is a Gateway PC. I hope to learn how to build one some day, that might be a good tutorial for Tech-Heaven!

I will probably look into my BIOS/CMOS a little later. I'm unsure about trying stuff there, but I'll look.

In the meantime, I'm trying to check the system properties through C:.

Dave :)

Re: Ok dave Got your PM

Nightman said:
go to the C: drive and the windows/system directory and locate the sistray or system properties this way. let me know if your able to get on the system properties.
I've gone to C: drive, then windows. I don't see systray or system properties, per se. I do see systray.exe. Am I missing something?

Sidenote: Why do most of the .exe files not do anything, but the Show Desktop does work?

Dave :(

Re: Re: Ok dave Got your PM

DMo224 said:
I've gone to C: drive, then windows. I don't see systray or system properties, per se. I do see systray.exe. Am I missing something?

Sidenote: Why do most of the .exe files not do anything, but the Show Desktop does work?

thats the one, you should see sistray,this will not work for you either, oh my this Virus got you Dave really, it did some good damage.

Sistray if you see it will also take you to the device Manager, can you try Safe mode to see if you can access the Device Manager this way? or throught the control panel through safe mode?

If you also have the time Dave if you can get in to the DOS mode type in scandisk from there and let it go and finish a scandisk this way, this will help also.

Hmm, I can't even get the ScanDisk to run. Normally, if I get the BSOD and I turn off the computer, ScanDisk runs before anything else. So, I turned off my computer to get it to run and it did not run.

Okay, since I can't beat my computer at Chess, I'm gonna' try kickboxing with it in a minute if I don't get it to cooperate!

I will try SafeMode in a few minutes, but I'm gonna' take a break from this thing. I'll be back later or tomorrow. Thanks for bearing with me.

DMo224 said:
Hmm, I can't even get the ScanDisk to run. Normally, if I get the BSOD and I turn off the computer, ScanDisk runs before anything else. So, I turned off my computer to get it to run and it did not run.

Okay, since I can't beat my computer at Chess, I'm gonna' try kickboxing with it in a minute if I don't get it to cooperate!

I will try SafeMode in a few minutes, but I'm gonna' take a break from this thing. I'll be back later or tomorrow. Thanks for bearing with me.

Dave I want you to try something I forgot and it's been along time for me using the Dos

goto start > run and type in Command Now a box will appear and you what it to get to the C: Prompt only so what you do is type in Cd/space two dots.. like this Cd .. and again until you just see the C: prompt only and type in this control sysdm.cpl

Have to go back to work so if this doesn't do it Man :( Hang in there. I'm thinking for you...

NM

Nightman said:
goto start > run and type in Command Now a box will appear and you what it to get to the C: Prompt only so what you do is type in Cd/space two dots.. like this Cd .. and again until you just see the C: prompt only and type in this control sysdm.cpl
I did that. Interesting that the RUN line will take some commands and not others. When I put in "control sysdm.cpl" it gave me the following message:

No application is associated with the specified file. Create an association by using the Explorer.

I will be out for awhile, and I gotta' friend coming over in a couple of hours. I will be back later and let you know what happened.

Thanks to all for all the help. But don't go away, I still might need some.

Dave :confused:

THE Update

Well, the Yaha worm really fouled up a lot of things on the PC, as you've probably already read. Here's the rest of the story:

A friend came over and helped me out. Actually, he didn't help me, it was like me helping him, a little anyway. He copied some information off my harddrive, what had not already been ruined and what was clean. Then it was format the harddrive.

After that, he loaded Windows XP Pro and updated the drivers. The computer is back up and running. I will have to reinstall lots of the programs that I was previously using.

I really appreciate all the responses, they have helped me to learn.

Thanks,

Dave :D

Re: THE Update

DMo224 said:
Well, the Yaha worm really fouled up a lot of things on the PC, as you've probably already read. Here's the rest of the story:

A friend came over and helped me out. Actually, he didn't help me, it was like me helping him, a little anyway. He copied some information off my harddrive, what had not already been ruined and what was clean. Then it was format the harddrive.

After that, he loaded Windows XP Pro and updated the drivers. The computer is back up and running. I will have to reinstall lots of the programs that I was previously using.

I really appreciate all the responses, they have helped me to learn.

Thanks,

Dave :D

Cool dave. Enjoy XP it's cool.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom