[ADVISE NEEDED] Asian Funerals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
Boss's mother passed away last week and the boss as not been in the office that much in the last few day.

I'm espected to turn up to the funeral later on this week. However I have never been to an Asian Funeral before.

Any words of advise on protocal?

According to my asian buds at work, they drink a lot at asian funerals (just like every american asian event). Might be different in Australia but I'd expect lots of cheap beer. If you're not sure what to do just fit in by being drunk.

jorsoft03 said:
If you're not sure what to do just fit in by being drunk.
Considering my low tolerance to alcohal, that should not be that hard.

Turns out that my boss does not requires me to be there as is a "conflict of regilions".

However both him and his wife was rather thankful for the sympathy card i give them from my family.

Bow, and bow low. The lower you bow is an expression of how much respect you are offering

meh, bow is still a universally accepted sign of respect

also (and yes this once again applies to japan mostly) white represents death rather than black, so most people wear white to funerals rather than black. It's very disrespectful to look someone in the eyes. I recall you saying you were a buddhist and I'm willing to bet most likely so is this family so you should already be familiar with most of the traditions and such

Hello,

Is the ceremony a chinese funeral?

Those who attend a chinese funeral are expected to burn incense and bow down to show respect to the family.

It's kinda strange actually...Traditionally at a chinese funeral, the coffin is placed at the home (if deceased in the house) or in the coutyard (if deceased away from home). There's usually gambling which happens at the front of the house because it's supposed to guard the deceased and lessen the grief. There's also someone who constantly burns what's known as 'prayer money' (effectively fake money).

...even strange at a traditional Chinese funeral, blood relatives are required to cry out during mourning to show respect to the deceased, with louder cries if the deceased has left a large fortune :freak:.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom