Advices and tips for my first build: AMD Ryzen 5

jerry222

Beta member
Hi everybody, how's it going?

i've created my first build and i'd like to share with you and maybe if you can give me some advice about it, please

cpu AMD - Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6GHz 6-Core
air cooler be quiet! - Pure Rock 120mm fan (i've contacted the company, they said it's got am4 out of the box compability)
motherboard Gigabyte - GA-AB350-Gaming ATX AM4
memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200
storage Seagate - BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
video card Asus - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Turbo
case Zalman - Z1 Neo ATX Mid Tower
power supply Corsair - VS 650W ATX (i've used the wattage calculator, the total of all is 515W so i needed 550 PSU but for €3 more i can get 650W PSU)

i will also buy an UPS to prevent damage if there is a power cut or black out

this is the link to compare GA AB 350 gaming ( €15 cheaper, where i live) vs GA AB 350 gaming 3 http://www.gigabyte.com/Comparison/Result/2?pids=6166,6225 can you tell me if im right by saying that the only differences are the rgb stuff and it has one more pci-e 16x slot (running at x1)

everything should be compatible with the other components, if you notice any big mistakes please tell me

thanks
regards

Air cooling is better than liquid cooling IMO due to the simplicity of installation, the clean look (no tubes) and simpler operation and maintenance. Liquid cooling is like a BMW, when it's working perfectly, it's great, but it only works perfectly for the first couple of months.
Why waste time transferring the heat to a liquid and then back to the air when you can more efficiently just dissipate the heat directly to the air itself?

As for than AMD, I stopped using AMD a very long time ago for too many reasons to list here. Intel just works a lot better for what I put a computer through. I also prefer their chipsets.
I also use SSDs instead of HDDs for everything except file backup on a NAS.
Here is the UPS I got. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AX9Z7W4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and I have done all my recent builds in this case, and will continue to use it for all my future builds:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008J0ZOF4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It has proven to be unbeatable.

Hmmm... I would get a HSF too. AIOs are too complicated and sometimes require bigger cases and such.

I would also change that GTX 1060 for something newer, something like this: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Vcxv7h

The case is optional, I just chose a random one. Also bear in mind, some coolers don't have "direct" compatibility with AM4, you may neeed an extra adapter. Some people got it for free, but you would have to wait for it and such.

Also, why did you choose the 1600X and not the 1600?

About the motherboard, I chose two because the X370s are not that expensive and are a big improvement.

For about the same price as the 1600x and be quiet cooler, you can get the 1700 which comes with a cooler... I've got one and it's fairly cool. The trade off is more cores at a lower clock speed. as far as coolers go, anything that works with the am3+ or even am2+ should be compatible, they all use the same mounting hardware...

Like technician said, i'd go with an ssd, at least for the OS drive. even the crappiest ssd will run circles around even a 7200rpm drive.

All of the AMD Ryzen chips, even the non-X models are overclockable as long as you get an overclocking compatible mobo. You can even get 3.8-3.9GHz on stock cooling if you're lucky. the 'X' chips are just 'certified' as better overclockers, if you don't plan to overclock don't bother with an X chip the premium isn't worth it.

The Wraith coolers are pretty good but still stock coolers, go with a big air cooler. I love my Dark Rock 3, it's silent even at 100% and my old hot angry sandy bridge i5 doesn't top 70C even under a Prime95 load.

oh, and get the fastest RAM you can. AMD's Infinity Fabric technology operates between CCX units using your memory's clock speed relative to timings. The lower you can get the latency and the most aggressive the clocks, the better your CPU will perform. Try and make sure you get RAM that has been certified compatible for Ryzen as most of the high end DDR4 is made with Intel in mind still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHAelSOF6f0

Last edited:
Where did you get this?

Maybe i'm wrong, but i though it was the same attachment mechanism. The motherboards i've seen have the same old bracket system from the older boards, where the two loops slip over the mobo bracket and then lever down. afaik they all should be forward compatible. The only reason i could think of it not fitting is if the fins are too big to get the ram in or get in the way of the vrms.

Maybe i'm wrong, but i though it was the same attachment mechanism. The motherboards i've seen have the same old bracket system from the older boards, where the two loops slip over the mobo bracket and then lever down. afaik they all should be forward compatible. The only reason i could think of it not fitting is if the fins are too big to get the ram in or get in the way of the vrms.
Take a look at the Cryorig H7. It's needs mounting adapters. Many others do as well. Not every cooler is compatible with Ryzen boards by default.

Take a look at the Cryorig H7. It's needs mounting adapters. Many others do as well. Not every cooler is compatible with Ryzen boards by default.

I stand corrected. So, is it just the ones that require you to remove those brackets from the motherboard aren't compatible, or are there any that use that bracket that are also incompatible without an adapter?

Back
Top Bottom