Advice Required

NWR

Solid State Member
Evening all,

I need your help and advice.

In my current employment I spend a large amount of time collecting information and then typing it up again doubling my workload.

I currently use an iPad to take notes but then have to type the notes up at a later time.

I would like to be able to use the iPad to collect the information resulting in a report being issued when I'm finished on site without having to spend further time typing up later.

I haven't a clue where to start though.

Can anyone help me with?

NWR

To be honest, this sounds like more of an issue your company should tackle rather than yourself - it's an inefficiency in your daily role that would benefit them to sort out at least as much as you, and they know the inner workings of your day to day role much better than we do.

You *could* go down the programming route (I'm assuming you're thinking about it because it's in the programming section) but chances are there's software that does what you want out there already, and by doing that you'll be learning to program to reinvent the wheel!

To be honest, this sounds like more of an issue your company should tackle rather than yourself - it's an inefficiency in your daily role that would benefit them to sort out at least as much as you, and they know the inner workings of your day to day role much better than we do.

You *could* go down the programming route (I'm assuming you're thinking about it because it's in the programming section) but chances are there's software that does what you want out there already, and by doing that you'll be learning to program to reinvent the wheel!

Thank you for the reply, yes you would think that it would be an option the company would consider but they won't pay the money daft I know.

I've continued to search and I've found a site on the net called Formstack, it has a 14 day trial and I've built some forms with it and ts quite good.

Only problem is it will be $14 a month after that but hopefully this will be worth it as it will cut my workload by half and then I might be able to get them to pay for it.

Thanks again

NWR

I use a free program called documents on my iphone.

it's just a word editor, but it lets me transfer documents to the phone, edit them and save them in word format. or to create new documents.

what are you currently using to take notes on your ipad?

I use a free program called documents on my iphone.

it's just a word editor, but it lets me transfer documents to the phone, edit them and save them in word format. or to create new documents.

what are you currently using to take notes on your ipad?

Hi Root, thank you for your reply.

I use the notes application that comes with the iPad.

I need a way to have dynamic forms to collect the data.

Each place will have different requirements.

For example if there are disabled persons employed the additional questions will show when yes is answered.

NWR

do you have an internet connection where you are.
either cellular with the ipad or using wifi?

if so then I'd suggest a webapp. easier, cheaper, exactly what you want.

Another possibility, could you setup some sort of remote desktop type solution to control your office computer from the iPad? You could use something like VNC or TeamViewer assuming you can connect to the same wifi network (although TeamViewer wouldn't require it, it would just need internet access, but it might not be classified as "personal" use since you're using it for work). If so, you could remote into your computer and input it like you were sitting there.

TeamViewer would be a suggestion, although I would go with something more along the lines as DropBox which is just a basic app that works like a sharing folder - I'm sorry but am not sure if this app is available for the iPad because I have an Android but there should be an app similar that is compatible. I love DropBox as it is very easy to setup and use, and its free! Hope this could help :)

Could you use something like Numbers to enter your data into a spreadsheet? There is a Numbers iPad app.

Back
Top Bottom