Advice on upgrading an old machine with a student budget

It's more that I'm hoping to improve the performance with the games I play already, for example, it plays Rome: Total War, but it slows down when there's a lot happening on-screen.

I really wouldn't bother upgrading this machine. If you want to see more frames in your games though, upgrade the video card as suggested. Maybe you should just get your boyfriend to buy you a new computer for your birthday or christmas or whatever. ;)

well something like a 6600 (256mb) would be great. It's capable of playing any game out atm, with low settings of course. Don't know any online hardware stores from england so I can't check the price, but on newegg u can get one for under $100 so u might be able to afford it.
And if u don't want to spend that much then u could go with a fx5500 or a fx5700 (if u can find it from somewhere). These are really cheap now, must be under $70. Then there is the 6200 which is a little more expensive than the fx5500. Never tried the 6200 myself, and I haven't heard much about it so I can't say if it's a good buy or not. But if u can afford it the 6600 would definitely be a big improvement.

Katmarauder - Celeron's are the worst processors for gaming, but they can cope, that is why at the moment, when you play games, and other things are happening, that is because it's a celeron, a celeron with a 128kb cache, they're the worst too! You can get the AMD processors really cheap now-a-days, and get a £50 GPU, new mobo, I bet you could get an OK machine for £150, easily.

Where did you buy the machine from in the first place?

mammikoura said:
And then upgrading the mobo would mean upgrading the cpu too.

Lol, how the hell did you work that lil' one out?!

My parents got it from PC World *ducks, runs*. I didn't really have much say in the matter or, if I'm honest, the knowledge to make much difference.

It's looking like the new graphics card then and if I can get some serious overtime, maybe a new machine. I'm going to uni this year though. It's a horrible red downward spiral into £20k of debt from here, I exaggerate not. With that in mind, maybe I ought to stick to old games for awhile longer.

Thanks for the help. I'll have a hunt online and see what I can find for a good price.

Back
Top Bottom