Advice on purchasing an Core i7 (32 or 64 bit Windows?)

playaz

Baseband Member
Hi guys,

I am in the process of buying a new PC ideally with a Core i7 processor. I would like to know if it would be best to go for 3GB Ram and use Windows XP/Vista in 32bit mode or spend the little extra and 6GB Ram with XP/Vista in 64 bit mode (so I can utilize more than 4Gb Ram)

I have heard problems with drivers when running in 64 bit mode, what advice can you guys give me?

Thanks in advance

64-bit FTW

Processors and ram don't need drivers so you won't have problems there. The only drivers would be your other device drivers.

Ok if I was to go the 64 bit route, would it be simple enough to setup a dual-boot running Windows XP 64-bit & Vista 64-bit?

Plus - would anyone know of any potential disadvantages to running 64 bit Operating systems?

Thanks

Yeah, it's relatively simple to setup a dual boot system. You need to have 2 separate partitions on your hard drive. Then install the oldest OS first, XP in your case, on the first partition. Then install Vista on the second partition and Vista should take care of the dual boot setup.

You really wont run into driver problems with 64bit as long as you are running semi-current hardware. Most problems come from older printers, scanners, sound cards, and things of that nature. If you are buying a system brand new and don't have any older hardware you are adding to it you shouldnt have a problem at all. You will definitely be glad you got the 64bit system if you do because it will be much more future proof if you plan on just upgrading because as time goes on more and more RAM is going to be needed to hold all of the information and processes your computer is doing so getting a 32bit now will only limit your upgradability in the future. If you don't plan on upgrading and don't think you will need that much more memory than you can do with out it but you are limiting the potential overall of your system in the future.

it would seem 64-bit is the way forward now and the issues i've heard seem to be a thing of the past - thanks guys, this is one great forum!

Back
Top Bottom