Advice on getting a better Computer (Whether building or buying)

Neolux

Beta member
Okay, so here is my situation.

About a year or two ago, I was new to PC gaming, and unknowing of the specifications that would be required of me, I bought an ASUS K42jc Laptop, thinking I could play any game on it.

I couldn't have been any more wrong, I spent $850 for this Laptop which has very limited graphics capabilities, and it just isn't doing the job.

Is there a way I could sell laptop for a portion of what I bought it for, and along with some, but not too much, more money I can collect, can I build a machine that will fit my needs?

Also, I was mistaken on the fact of buying a Laptop, I thought it would be useful to have it be portable, but it stays in the same spot all day, so I would like to build a Desktop.

I would be willing to buy a machine, but my fear is that the prices will be greater with buying a brand name, and I am trying to make this project as frugal as possible.

I don't need my built machine to be a computer-god, but I need for it to at a minimum, play games that are coming out right now, and I would also like a machine that will be able to play current games for quite some time.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Hey,

Just a couple of questions to get this started.

1) Can you list the full spec of you laptop inc processor, RAM hard drive size and screen size.

2) When you say you want a computer you can play games on, is having the settings up high important to you or do you just want it to be playable with half decent settings? This will affect the price of the new build dramatically.

....but I need for it to at a minimum, play games that are coming out right now, and I would also like a machine that will be able to play current games for quite some time...

When you say, you want to be able to play the newest state of the art games that are being released right now, as well as new games for some time to come, you are speaking of spending a considerable amount of money.

Gaming machines are expensive...period! They become even more expensive, when you try to "future proof" them as much as possible. Unless I missed it, I didn't see where you mentioned your budget for this build.

In general terms, $800.00 will buy you parts for a computer that will play most, but not all games, today.

$1,200.00 will buy the parts for a machine that will play anything today, and for a short time to come.

$1,800 and up, is required for a computer which will take you about 2 years into the future, before upgrading will be required.

In general terms, $800.00 will buy you parts for a computer that will play most, but not all games, today.

$1,200.00 will buy the parts for a machine that will play anything today, and for a short time to come.

$1,800 and up, is required for a computer which will take you about 2 years into the future, before upgrading will be required.

Forgive my "pedanticness" (and spelling for that matter), but doesnt this COMPLETELY depend on what kind of settings he wants to play these games at? I see no reason why a $1,200 build couldnt play games over the next 2 years on "reasonable" settings, now i'm not a gamer so my definition of reasonable and yours (if you are a gamer) may be completely different.

But if your not looking to play at high resolutions and your not fussed about getting the best FPS and having the graphic details turn up on your games then you can actually game on some relatively low end machines.

Once again i appreciate the term "low end" is down to opinion, but i really do feel that the serious gamers out there do put a downer on people that just want to be able to play the game and don't care if you can't see every blade of grass or if your water doesnt look reflective and like it's actually flowing.
Sometimes it's about the game play and story lines and not the graphics quality.

---------- Post added at 11:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 AM ----------

To add to this i'd like to say that i don't think you would have any problem playing alot of todays games (on low settings) on an C2D e6600 and an old Nvidia 8800GT.

@ssc456,

I agree with everything you've said.

However, when someone states that they want to play current releases, as well as future releases, and isn't anymore specific than that, what am I to think?

I have to give an opinion based on playing games that can be enjoyed to their fullest extent. That means high resolutions, DX11, tessellation, ambient occlusion, and frame rates as smooth as butter, for the maximum gaming experience.

If the OP said he was only interested in playing Half-Life2, Quake 4, and Unreal Tournament 3, I'd recommend a nice build for $500. Conversely, if he wants to play the latest games, and future games on reduced settings, running DX9, at minimum frame rates, and at lower resolution, a $1,000 machine could be viable for years.

Seeing water that's reflective, and looks like it's actually flowing, driving through mud that's a foot deep, and leaving realistic ruts and tire tracks, seeing the incredible detail that's only available at high resolutions, is what modern day gaming is all about.

It's unfortunate that you feel serious gamers are offensive in their descriptions of machines. I really don't believe that is intentional in any way. I know of no other way to describe the costs of gaming machines, other than the way I did in post #3 above....those are just the facts.

Like I said before, you do bring out a very good point about playing at reduced settings, etc. Perhaps, that's what Neolux intends to do???

Back
Top Bottom