Advice on choosing a computer.

Ok, X-Fi is something I'll definitely look into. Thanks Jamxx.

And as for Flyin' Blind, those are some nice specs. I don't think I'll be going that high-end, since I'm looking to spend a bit less. But its a good layout template to go from.

And thanks for the sites to check out, I'll look em up.

On a side note: I've gotten like 4-5 different people replying in this thread. While on the one over on Rapid Gaming I've gotten a grand total of 1 view. Is that forum mostly dead?

Haha, that's funny. I remember SilentScope (member on here and at Rapid Gaming) was complaining about that other site. He said it's pretty much dead over there which is why he jumped over here. But that was like a month ago. There are always a lot of responses on here from different people because it's a very active forum compared to some of the other ones.

Jamxx said:
Yeah. These forums are really excellent!

Spartacus, poke around on Newegg! (www.newegg.com) You'll find some cool stuff there. It's great fun.
They have some way cool PC's right in my price range.

I'd also like to ask another question: what really is the difference in performance between a single-core and dual-core processor? Is it worth it to pay the little extra money to upgrade to dual-core?

I've already decided on an AMD processor, so don't bother mentioning Intel dual-core.

Spartacus210 said:
They have some way cool PC's right in my price range.

I'd also like to ask another question: what really is the difference in performance between a single-core and dual-core processor? Is it worth it to pay the little extra money to upgrade to dual-core?

I've already decided on an AMD processor, so don't bother mentioning Intel dual-core.

well for gaming u won't see a big difference yet. I think that there is only 1 game (F.E.A.R) out atm which takes full advantage from the dual core processing. But I'm guessing that more and more games will do the same in the close future since dual core processors are starting to be quite common.
And the difference when multitasking is very big.

I'd say it's definitely worth the extra money.

And gaming_freak's list looks very good, just add something like a 550W psu and it will be complete. And for the case I'd recommend Antec P180.

mammikoura said:
well for gaming u won't see a big difference yet. I think that there is only 1 game (F.E.A.R) out atm which takes full advantage from the dual core processing. But I'm guessing that more and more games will do the same in the close future since dual core processors are starting to be quite common.
And the difference when multitasking is very big.

I'd say it's definitely worth the extra money.

And gaming_freak's list looks very good, just add something like a 550W psu and it will be complete. And for the case I'd recommend Antec P180.
Sweet. My current computer rolls over and dies when multitasking (which is just how I roll) so this would be a big improvement. Thanks for all your help guys. I'll do more research over the weekend and pitch the idea to my dad to see what he thinks.

That Antec case looks so....clean. It's a really pretty case. Theres just something so...elegant about it.

And about that power supply; doesn't the case you suggested come with one? Then why would I need another? Does the supplied one just not cut it?

EDIT: Made a stupid. Doesn't include a power supply.

On another note, what do you guys more suggest: buying and tweaking some of the packages from some of the mentioned sites (Newegg, etc), or just all-out custom-building it? As in, buying all the needed parts at various tech stores and online and putting them together myself?

Well If i were you I would have gone with something cheaper man, buy your girlfriend something nice with all that money you can save. Go with a $1000 or a little bit more. Thats all you need if your a good shopper on new egg which is easy. Trust me you can have a very well up to date ''sexy'' Pc with that much money. You can take my advice or not its up to you of course. I will post some specs on a cheap build on new egg later.

Keep in mind if you are not a hardcore gamer it will be somewhat difficult to build and also, dont by a $2000 pre biult comp from any company.
1. they will rip you off
2. your wasting money if you arent a hardcore gamer
3. I suggest you really do your research on hardware and then think about your expenses

Im not trying to sound like a jaktass haha

Good point. Well, your girlfriend arguement is lacking. I don't have one :D .

Maybe going so high is a little much. I'm really seeing it as an investment though. If I buy a good computer now, then it will last awhile and be able to game with the best of them.

However, I'm not a hardcore gamer. That's a good point. Popping 2 grand on something I won't be using every day does seem stupid. I have a lot of homework, so gaming during the week will be difficult.

I will consider more budget options though.

Yeah, well with comps these days if you buy right you can be gaming with a good computer in the years to come and be totally satisfied with your system, even on a low budget. Ya, Im in the same shoes your in man (though i game a little more and less homework). I will post my shit im ordering on new egg a bit later.

Back
Top Bottom