advice on a new build

Sawbonz

Solid State Member
Hi All, New to the forums. I am looking to replace my wife's desktop. She does not game. But she does enjoy video editing. She uses Lightroom for this as well as Photoshop Elements. Other than that she just uses it for Facebook, Email, etc. She already has an Eizo monitor (EIZO CS2420BK 24" WS 1920X1200 COLOREDGE). She has a lot of photos so that's why I did smaller the smaller SSD with large SATA storage. I probably am overbuilding for her needs, but would like the rig to last at least 5 years. Any advice/comments would be appreciated.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wTxbvn

Compatibility Check: No issues/incompatibilities found.

CPU
Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor

Motherboard
Asus - TUF Z370 Plus Gaming ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

Memory
Kingston - HyperX Fury Black 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2133

Storage
Samsung - 860 Evo 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card
Asus - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB Dual Video Card

Case
Fractal Design - Define R6 Gunmetal ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply
EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Optical Drive
LG - GH24NSC0B DVD/CD Writer

Operating System
Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit

8700 is a good choice, another option would be a Ryzen 1600 or 1700 for the money. You also don't need a gaming/overclocking oriented board for this build. Due to the nature of the Z370 being the only board chipset available you don't have much choice. The ASRock Pro 4 is 121 right now, but I see Newegg has the TUF on sale for 129. If you plan to buy this right now that's not a bad deal. Otherwise if you're waiting I'd definitely look at their lower end chipsets once available.

A 1060 is not needed for this build as she does not game. You could actually toss a 1050 in there and it'd still be fine, but if she's not using Premiere Pro it's a bit wasted.

IMO the case is a bit too OP for a Facebook box. This could be done as an mATX or mITX build easily.

I'd go with the G3 for the PSU, but no more than 550W.

Back
Top Bottom