Advice for upgrading?

zerocelsius

Beta member
Hello everyone. I posted this in the wrong category. Sorry about that. >.< I'm currently running a:

Dell Dimension 3100
Windows XP SP3
Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz Processor (Socket 775 LGA)
Dell 0JC474 Motherboard
500 GB HD
1GB Memory in the form of 2x 512MB DDR2 (PC2-4300) Memory Sticks
ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series
Intel PRO/100 VE Network Card (Integrated)

My issue is... I'm having trouble running my games. Stuff like World of Warcraft and whatnot runs fine, but I'm Beta testing RIFT and trying to play a few other games, and I'm getting large amounts of lag. Are there any suggestions as to how I can make this PC better? Would it be worth it to upgrade, or just build a custom rig? I'm really good at building computers and identifying parts, as I've been dismantling and building them since I was a kid, so installing new hardware and parts isn't an issue. But I wanted more expert opinion on this.

Single core CPU and a gaming card that isn't designed for gaming, that is where your main problems are.

You are better off fully rebuilding. Before you touch anything else you will have to get a new power supply. Then, you will have to get a new CPU, new video card, and judging by the size of the case, you won't be able to get anything that big, so to have a gaming card, you will need a new case too. You will then have outdated memory, CPU socket and a very low quality motherboard...

How much would you have to spend on upgrades/a new build?

I'm actually scouring newegg for an affordable motherboard right now. I'm hoping to get on that supports at least an AMD Phenom II Processor and at least 4GB of Ram. Like I said, I'm good at building, and I've put together a gaming rig for a friend, but he picked the parts. I'm just hoping to not break the bank here. Heck, I'm even limiting myself to buy a part or two every week or so.

What's the main difference between AMD Athlon II and AMD Phenom II? Newegg has this combo deal going on.

Then there's also this Motherboard/CPU/VIDEO combo. But I'm not sure if these specs will live up to a game like Rift... (Specs for Rift listed below)

Minimum System Specification
Operating system: Windows XP, Vista or 7
Processor: Dual Core 2.0 GHz or better
Memory: 2 GB
Hard disk space: 8.0 GB available
Video: Nvidia GeForce FX 5900, ATI/AMD Radeon X300, Intel GMA X4500 or better.
Sound: DirectX 8.1 compliant card
DirectX®: 9.0c, June 2010 update
Broadband internet connection (DSL, cable modem or other high speed connection)

Recommended System Specification
Operating system: Windows XP, Vista or 7
Processor: Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz or better
Memory: 4 GB
Hard disk space: 8.0 GB available
Desktop Video: Nvidia GTS 250 or better
Notebook Video: Nvidia GTX 200M series or better
Sound: DirectX 8.1 compliant card
DirectX®: 9.0c, June 2010 update
Broadband internet connection (DSL, cable modem or other high speed connection)

Back
Top Bottom