Advice for getting an IT job at 16?

ukballer1012

Baseband Member
I turned 16 a while back and now that I have a car and with college approaching I realize I need to get a job over the summer. I love computers and know a lot about how they work and practical solutions for problems. To expand my knowledge base on the matter I started reading a Comptia A+ Certification Exam guide, the one by Mike Meyers. Since I've never had a job before and I don't know anyone that works at a place like geek squad or easy tech I thought I would ask here, and there weren't really any categories to post this thread so sorry if it's off topic :p. I'm not going to go into IT for my career but I'm going to double major in computer and electrical engineering, but I thought a job at one of these places would be fun, opposed to bagging groceries making $8/hour. So my problem is whether or not they will not hire me since I haven't had a job prior to this. I believe the Comptia A+ certification would help but I don't want to spend $300 for something I might not even need to get a job at a place like geek squad or easytech. If I try to apply with out being certified then I fear that if I don't 'pass' the interview I wont be able to interview again with the certification; I don't want to gamble $300 :p. I talked with the manager of my local staples briefly today about the qualifications and etc into getting a job and when I went to ask about if the certification he said no (I don't even think he knew what it was) and he said that staples had one of their own and I came to the conclusion that he wasn't the person to ask since he didn't get across what I was saying :/.He said they look at job experience and I obviously don't have job experience in this field. I know he can't give me a definite answer because I have to go through the whole application process first. I'm probably over-reacting but if I need job experience and no one will hire me because I don't have any then I am in a catch-22. I just want to get it across to these people that I know what I'm doing; I'm not diving into all this blind. I know much more about computers than the average 16 year old and I don't think I'll be able to convince these people of that without getting A+ certified and if the certification doesn't help I'm then out $300.

So I guess I'm asking for some advice on what to do in my situation for those came from the same situation I'm in, or to people that currently have a job like this. Any advice would be appreciated, not just limited to what my concerns are in this thread but just general advice for getting a job at somewhere like easytech or geek squad.

EDIT: I guess I shouldn't have used the word IT. I mean like a job at easytech or geek squad.

Last edited:
IT's for the most part see what's on the front end of a network. My advice would be to hire on as a helper for a company that runs the wiring and installs the hardware. In that case you'd have a more rounded knowledge of how the front and back end of the biz is done. Besides pulling cables pays pretty good.

Geek Squad hires people who can sell the services more than they hire good techs.
Yeah most of the people at geek squad are tards... So then what can I do? My dad helped this local IT company (Pomeroy IT Solutions) significantly by hiring them for IT solutions (he works at citi). You think the recommendation of the guy from pomeroy would help get me a job, assuming I actually meet and talk with the guy. He does owe my dad :p

If you ever have a chance to take advantage of nepotism, for Christ's sake do it...

Back
Top Bottom