Advice about a possible WINDOWS development environment.

arturo_papito

Beta member
Hello to all of you,

I have a general question to see if someone can give me some advice. I am looking for a development environment to built aplications in windows environment. Something that is easy and reliable for me.

My experience in the past to give you some background:

consultant/developer in Sap fro 15 years (abal/4)

VBA in ACCESS database based clients with MS sql server behind.
SCADA Factory Talk View with development in VBA.

I feel comfortable in Visual basic and I would like to stick to it. I need basically “batch” processes that would run in the server. For instance checking some incoming text files in a shared directory, accessing SQL server.

Normally I am not producing client forms for human interaction. I will be scanning directories for text files, and interacting with SQL server
So Which environment should I use? What software do I need to install? Visual studio and VB. Any other? pros/cons.

Basically I can ask my IT infrastructure to prepare a Windows server with SQL server and install “whatever”, All with due licenses of course, I look for something as simple as possible with the conditions mentioned above.

Thanks

Does a SQL Server already exist for your development and production environments?

SSMS if you're just needing to interact with the existing DB's, and then yeah just Visual Studio to write your applications.

Your servers will need SQL server running to store whatever you need in DB's.

Are these automated services/programs that will be running on a schedule? Manually being run?

Does a SQL Server already exist for your development and production environments?

SSMS if you're just needing to interact with the existing DB's, and then yeah just Visual Studio to write your applications.

Your servers will need SQL server running to store whatever you need in DB's.

Are these automated services/programs that will be running on a schedule? Manually being run?
I am still considering what to do, but let's say that I Will have a SQL server for production and another for development in separated machines. This Will be managed in terms of backups and "whatever" by my central IT department so I do not have to worry. I Will créate tableas and what I need for the apps.

So I guess Virtual studio and VB are the natural options. Thanks for the answer

I am still considering what to do, but let's say that I Will have a SQL server for production and another for development in separated machines. This Will be managed in terms of backups and "whatever" by my central IT department so I do not have to worry. I Will créate tableas and what I need for the apps.

VB isn't anything separate. It's just a language that you can develop in, with Visual Studio.

Hello to all of you,

I have a general question to see if someone can give me some advice. I am looking for a development environment to built aplications in windows environment. Something that is easy and reliable for me.

My experience in the past to give you some background:

consultant/developer in Sap fro 15 years (abal/4)

VBA in ACCESS database based clients with MS sql server behind.
SCADA Factory Talk View with development in VBA.

I feel comfortable in Visual basic and I would like to stick to it. I need basically “batch†processes that would run in the server. For instance checking some incoming text files in a shared directory, accessing SQL server.

Normally I am not producing client forms for human interaction. I will be scanning directories for text files, and interacting with SQL server
So Which environment should I use? What software do I need to install? Visual studio and VB. Any other? pros/cons.

Basically I can ask my IT infrastructure to prepare a Windows server with SQL server and install “whateverâ€, All with due licenses of course, I look for something as simple as possible with the conditions mentioned above.

Thanks

With support for hundreds of languages, Visual studio code helps you be instantly productive with syntax highlighting, bracket-matching, auto-indentation, box-selection, snippets, and more. Visual studio create, deploy, and manage innovative applications on your platform of choice.

Benefits of Visual Studio:

(i) Increase developer agility and productivity.
(ii). Streamline every stage of development with tools & resources to support developers as they build the next generation of apps.
(iii) Collaborate anytime, anywhere. ...
(iv) Innovate on the platform of your choice.

Hope this helps : )

Back
Top Bottom