Advertising questions from newbie

EvilHaider

Beta member
I'm currently in the process of building a website template sales website which I expect to complete within the next week and a half or so.

I'm trying to figure out the best ways to market this site. I decided I should sink some money into advertising in various places and see how it goes, and I've been checking out banner advertising opportunities in many places. Obviously I should be advertising on webmaster related websites right? So I searched for a few and sent some ad rate requests to some people. I've gotten a few responses back and would like your opinions on these options.

I've gotten an offer for 120x90 size banner ads on these sites:
www.webknowhow.net and www.htmlprimer.com
I'd get 20K impressions on each of these sites over a one month period at a cost of $100/month.
The stats they have given me for the sites are:
WebKnowhow.net 27,000 visitors, 22,000 unique 122,000 impressions
HTMLPrimer.com 28,000 visitors, 19,000 unique 85,000 impressions

They've told me that the CTR on their banner ads is 2.5% to 4.5% but from what I've read online and suggestions i've gotten from others (also coupled with the fact that the banner is much smaller than the standard size), I think an optimistic CTR might be around 1% and then the conversion rate from that might be 1%. Calculating with these figures, it doesn't seem like it's worth it for me to go w/ this option since I only make about 15-30 bucks per template. What do you guys think?

I've also gotten an offer from another site (I can't mention it just yet :)) It's geared towards webmasters/developers - it has programming related tutorials, articles, forums,etc. They have some google AdWords style links on the right side of each of their pages (text links). They get about 200K pageviews per month. They've offered me one of those ads for $70/month, which seems like a better deal.

I'd also LOVE to hear suggestions on other places where I can advertise my site and get a good return. Thanks for your help!

Haider

Those offers look OK. I could offer you some advertising on this place and my other site. Let me know what you are looking for.

Well I like the second offer better than the first,seems to me I can get more traffic to my site that way.

Since I'm just starting this website, I don't want to sink too much money into it. I was thinking about spending MAYBE $400 or something but dividing that up into 3-4 different places to see which gives me the best return.

The thing with advertising on forums though is that, the impressions are used very quickly and one person loads the home page several times possibly, so I haven't really decided if I want to advertise banners on forums yet :)

...but thanks for the offer, i'll think about it...

Back
Top Bottom