adding ram. possibly other parts. help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbm90

Solid State Member
I've only got 3gigs and my comp can handle 8.
Any ideas on what to get?
Also, wanna add a new sound card and graphics [if i can since ive got intel graphics]
and almost forgot, a new fan if possible.

comp specs:

ms windows 7 64 bit
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00GHz Wolfdale 45nm Technology [Socket 775 LGA] --- cpu
3.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 531MHz (7-7-7-20) --- ram
MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD 3664h (CPU 1) --- motherboard
Intel(R) G45/G43 Express Chipset --- graphics
488GB Seagate (SATA) --- hard drive. it's 500, but ive used quite a bit and there's another partition that came with the comp.
Realtek High Definition Audio --- audio

more in depth specs:
cpu...
Bus Speed 332.5 MHz
Rated Bus Speed 1330.0 MHz
Stock Core Speed 3000 MHz
Stock Bus Speed 333 MH

ram...
Total memory slots 4
Used memory slots 2
Free memory slots 2
Type DDR3
Size 3072 MBytes
Channels # Dual
DRAM Frequency 532.0 MHz
CAS# Latency (CL) 7 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) 7 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 7 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 20 clocks
Command Rate (CR) 1T

budget: $300-400. $500 max.

There's no point getting much more RAM, I'd get rid of your 1GB stick and put another 2GB in there for 4GB for Dual channel and Does your Motherboard have a PCI-E 8/16 Slot? What Power Supply do you have. When I know this I can help you more.

Also integrated sound is usually enough. Depending on how you use it.

Yeah, what did you mean by Fan, Processor heatsink, case fan or what?

I would recommend G.Skill. Can your board go any higher than 1033?

Are you talking about a case fan? What size? (normally 120mm)

Edit: Josh, dual channel will work much better than single, he has 7 x64

Is this a pre-built? If not then try to get the actual model number of the motherboard so we can better recommend parts. maybe try downloading and running Everest.

OK. Your RAM standard is 1333, so go with this:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL9D-4GBNT

You will have to measure the fan and see what size it is. My guess is that it is a 80mm, but measure it to be sure. Fans are pretty cheap and super easy to change (four screws and a single plugin).

Since your are on a dual core I wouldn't suggest getting the fastest cards out there, but you might as well get a good one while you are at it.
Newegg.com - XFX HD-685X-ZNFC Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

And you will need a power supply to feed it.
Newegg.com - Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply

A sound card is completely optional. Unless you are not happy with your onboard sound I wouldn't bother. If you go with one, go with a PCI card and mount it in the bottom PCI slot to allow better ventilation and to reduce interference from the video card.
Newegg.com - Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card

Thanks a ton. I'll update as soon as I get everything put together. :D
Also how would I measure the fan?
It looks fairly small when I looked at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom