Adding new Graphics card

19suburban96

Beta member
I want to install a new graphics card in a PCI 16x slot. I currently have graphics embedded in the MB. Does it just plug & play ?

i think it depends on the card, maybe. i dont know, some may be plug and play, but a lot of them require the installation of drivers and/or software.

1st. I don't think there is a PCI 16x, PCI is 1x (I think) and PCI-e is 16x. (well sometimes 8x if used in SLI, depends on the mobo)

But go to the bios and see if u can disable the onboard vid card, or something similar. And u always need to install the vid card drivers, always! (well u can run the card without the drivers, but then it's not going to perform even close to what it should)

Eh, disable onboard video using device manager, turn off comp, install card, boot up, install drivers and you're good to go.

PCI 16x is basically the same as PCI express (i think it is i'm 99% certain it is)

Device manger isn't good enough, uninstall the drivers with device manger, then go into bios and find the onboard settings and disable it. Then install GPU boot it up and your good to go.

Most BIOS versions have a feature in which if an external GPU is inserted, the onboard will just disable automaticially...but whatever you want to do, up to you.

Try to disable the On-board video first. This can usually done through the BIOS or through a physical jumper on the Mobo. Then, just put in the new card, install the drivers, and you're good to go!

I suggest to avoid compalitly issues, and conflicts with onboard GPU, and off board that you disable it manually after you've installed your GPU, remember to uninstall the onboard drivers as well as those can create conflicts with the system and cause a unstable OS.

Back
Top Bottom