adding more vram?

bolton1202

Solid State Member
Hey all,

I have a m275 gateway laptop and I read somewhere that it can have a maximum of 64mb video memory. However when I go into BIOS there is no way to change it from 8mb. Do I need to update the BIOS?

It only has 8Mb's of Video Ram Physically. You can increase the amount of ram by adding it to the laptop. However don't even ask if you can buy extra video ram because I believe you can't add it. In your case, the Ram is embedded into the Motherboard of the laptop. Most laptops borrow RAM that isn't being used by the computer and uses for video ram. This ram is slower than the dedicated video ram but it allows for more video related programs to run. So if you wish, just increase the shared amount of video ram the laptop will share.

its actually not physically on the motherboard. the GPU is using the physical ram of the system. i know this because instead of 512mb ram it's showing 504mb.

I was told that if I increase the ram to more than 512mb total, I can add more vram. As of right now, the video memory is greyed out at 8mb. Maybe a bios update is in order. Either way I'm pretty confident there is a way to get this done. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

I tried updating the BIOS, which didn't leave me with an option to increase the vram, unfortunately. I guess I will buy more ram in the hopes that the maximum must be more than 512mb to manually increase the vram.

If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom