Adding huge speakers to TV or Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

john3

Banned
K guys, my uncle gave me these 2 huge speakers that stand taller than a full tower. and have this type of wiring

P1000322.jpg

P1000320.jpg

i have speakers with similar wiring on my stereo system

P1000327.jpg

now my question is, how can i connect these speakers to my big screen tv, or my computer. my uncle said that you need an amplifier, but i have no clue what that is. i went to canada computers' website, type in amplifier and i got dvd players, and speaker sets, wats the deal with that?

are they powered or not? I would guess not, but seeing those RCA jacks makes me question.

For the cables, the just slide in the connectors in the back. Pull the lever down and insert the wire. It's that easy... just make sure you match the black and red (polarity purposes).

IF they aren't powered, just hooke them up to an amplifier or receiver (as long as they can handle the receivers power... just check wattage ratings).

u no that would help me alot, if i new wat an amplifier was!??!?! refer to first post. and can u show me an example, or where i might find one, as in on other electronics i might have or others that can double as an amplifier that may allow me to connect to the tv or computer.

The box thingy on a 5.1 system is an amp, the thing that goes in your car is an amp, ummm. Yea idk, i would take a picture if i could but i cant.

k i talked to my uncle about it and here is the thing. the speakers are 60 watts, so, the amplifier should follow suit, i dont really wanna spend extra money on something i wont need, and i wont be buying new speakers for that price anytime soon, they are like $500 speakers each, he is giving me. i will only need 1 set of speakers, but more is ok if its an extra and wont effect price. i will need 3 plug socket majigies for the dvd player, vcr, and ps2. and maybe an extra 1 or 2, if again it doesnt effect price. any suggestions? new or old?

Wattage really dosent matter. I have a 125watt stereo amp pushing to towers that are about 750watts a piece. You just cant push it to much. If you wanna be cheap about it you can find some good home stereo systems at a pawn shop. My dad found a really good Sony 5.1 reciever for 60 bucks. Im sure if you just want a 2 channel it will be really cheap.

yeah, i no a store where this technician he takes in amplifiers and fixes, and hes really good, and he just sells them second hand.

how about looking for a stereo reciever on Craigs list?

you should be able to pick one up for cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom