Adding a 2nd Router as a DMZ?

mmartin

Beta member
Hello All,

My laptop I use for work runs OpenSuSE 11.4 (Linux) and ever since I moved to my new house (we switched to Verizon FiOS) I havent been able to STAY connected to my work's VPN through the FiOS Router. It continually drops and I get a message saying the VPN Connection failed...

My Co-Worker (who is our Network Admin), told me he had the EXACT same problem with his FiOS Router (he uses Linux as well). So what he did was he gave me an older router we don't use at work anymore (it's a Linksys WRV200), in order for me to set it up as a DMZ and connect to the VPN that way. Which is what he did and has not had any problems since, he told me.

Problem is I can't get the thing to work. I thought I had it setup correctly but when connected to the Secondary router I can't see the internet at all. And I can't even ping the FiOS Router from Linksys Router's Admin Page...?

Setup:
What I did was I plugged an ethernet cable from the "Internet/WAN" Port on the Linksys Router to a LAN Port on the FiOS Router. Then in the FiOS Router's settings I set the Static IP Address I gave the Linksys Router as the "DMZ" Host in the FiOS Router.

Since that didn't seem to work I tried turning on/off DHCP on the Linksys and also putting its LAN Address on a different sub-net (i.e. 192.168.2.xxx). And still no luck....

Could anyone lend me a hand with this. I'm kinda stuck here and not sure what else to try. I've tried Googling for this like crazy but pretty much everything I found was for making a 2nd router an "Access Point" or a "Repeater" which isn't what I want to do.

If anyone has any suggestions for how I should be configuring this, that would be GREAT!!

Thanks in Advance,
Matt

You know, since you have a buddy that is the network admin, why do you not get him to set this up for you.

As for setting it up, one step at a time.

You say you connected to the Fios router's lan port. How many ports are there on the router? If only one, then you need to connect to your main router.

I would do the connection, go into the second lyncsys, do a factory reset, connect the laptop to it and see if you can get on the net.

If you are able to get on the net, then open your network connections, click on your VPN connect and see what you get.

Try forwarding ports 1-65535 (which is all of them) to the linksys router's WAN IP (It's using a static WAN IP right?)
If it isn't able to access the internet at all, try changing the WAN MAC address on the linksys router.

Also, make sure your LAN subnets are different to what your work VPN uses too.

Last edited:
You know, since you have a buddy that is the network admin, why do you not get him to set this up for you.
Hey "I am Confused2", thanks for the reply...

Yea I know lol... I did ask him a little bit ago but he has been crazy busy with things so I thought I'd give it a shot on my own first...

I believe the FiOS Router has 4 or 5 LAN ports and 1 WAN port.
I'll give your suggestion a try as soon as I get home from work... Thanks!

Hey Apokalipse, thanks for the reply...

Yes, that's correct I had given it a static IP Address.
I will try your suggestion of Forwarding All the Ports before I try resetting the router back to factory default and we'll see if that works out. I had been looking at the page of the config for Forwarding the ports too, but I had only added port 80 and 8080, which obviously didn't work lol.

And also yes, I am using a different Subnet. My work uses '9' and I had set it to '2'...
I might have to post back about how to change to WAN MAC Address. I was under the impression that it wasn't possible to change a MAC Address...? But We'll save that if none of the above works.

Thanks Again for BOTH Your Replies!

Thanks,
Matt

Hey Guys, just spoke with the Network Admin I spoke about before....

His power had just come back on since the recent Hurricane Sandy Hit, and he ended up having to "re-configure" his DMZ Router. So he just told me he took a bunch of screenshots for me and he is going to send them to me to check out.

So after I take a look when I get home, I'll post back with what's going on...

Thanks,
Matt

Back
Top Bottom