Add USB 2.0

jetter2

Beta member
Hey All.

I am looking for a cheap fix for right now. I'm going to dump about $2k into a new system this summer, but for right now I need to get past this small hurdle.

On my PC for whatever reason, when I connect my MP3 player to it(be it a Sansa E260 or a Creative Zen) it "doesn't recognize the device".

Now, these are regular devices that don't even have drives out for them. I suspect my motherboard just for whatever reason won't support USB2.0.

Its weird too, I have a USB Hub off my one of my 6 onboard USB ports, and I my Digital Camera, and joysticks all work fine...but I don't think they require USB2.0.

SO, can I just get a USB controller card for a PCI slot? Will that allow me to take advantage of USB2.0 devices(such as my mp3 Players which I cant even transfer songs off of right now)? I would imagine that running on the PCI bus on its own drivers should segregate it from the USB bus...just not sure anymore :confused:

I'm doing a complete upgrade in about 3 months, 2Gigs of RAM, new PCI-E video card, new mobo and CPU and all the goodies.

See if you can find any drivers online for any of the devices. Usually MP3 players have some type of drivers.

Anyway, yeah, you can get a PCI slot USB 2.0 card.

Even if your USB ports dont support USB 2, they should work with USB1.1. Have you checked device manager to make sure they are working correct.
And to confirm, you can get PCI cards for USB

The device will be picked up in the DM, but it won't actually communicate.

Anyone have any tips on a driver for a Creative ZenV 4gb model? It just won't connect on there.

Raffaz said:
What happens when you connect them to the hub, and all the other USB ports, is it still the same?
Drivers
http://uk.europe.creative.com/suppo...&driverlang=1033&OS=10&drivertype=0&x=31&y=11

Yes, its the same no matter what port I use, which makes me suspect my motherboard isn't USB2.0

BTW-that link has no drivers. The firmware is firmware for the player itself, and the rest of the applications are just music organizers etc.

It's like trying to find a driver for a thumb drive...

You shouldnt need a driver, that link is for the software and firmware. What OS are you running?

Raffaz said:
Even if your USB ports dont support USB 2, they should work with USB1.1. Have you checked device manager to make sure they are working correct.
And to confirm, you can get PCI cards for USB

Ya I had the same problem on my old computer. It was only USB 1.1 and when I plugged in my creative cheapy usb MP3 player into it it said hi speed device plugged into non hi speed usb port. No biggy just didn't transfer as fast. Rather odd he can't even get it to reconize the drive but it should just won't transfer as fast.

MattieDaShark83 said:
Ya I had the same problem on my old computer. It was only USB 1.1 and when I plugged in my creative cheapy usb MP3 player into it it said hi speed device plugged into non hi speed usb port. No biggy just didn't transfer as fast. Rather odd he can't even get it to reconize the drive but it should just won't transfer as fast.
Exactly, im running a few 1.1 devices, and get the same message. Just wondering if he isnt using XP as he hasnt mentioned his OS.

same happens here on my older computer when i plug in my flash drive it says high speed device connected to a non high speed usb port , no real problem just transfers slower and the light dosent work for some reason , probably power issues or sumthing

Back
Top Bottom