Adblocker for Google Chrome. do I need it?

Kate Su

Beta member
Hi!

I use Google Chrome and I've read in one article that need adblocker for it. There is an opinion due to the fact that Google monitors our online activity in order to show targeted advertising, there is no certainty that unwanted ads will always be blocked.

Is it true or not? And what adblocker you can recommend?

Hi!

I use Google Chrome and I've read in one article that need adblocker for it. There is an opinion due to the fact that Google monitors our online activity in order to show targeted advertising, there is no certainty that unwanted ads will always be blocked.

Is it true or not? And what adblocker you can recommend?

Whether You use or not use them, is entirely up to you. They are optional, using is Your own choise. They all work the same way - you just don't see some ads and some nonsense on the websites. They will be hidden from you and that's all they do.
In general, it would be very wise to know how something works and not believe what someone thinks.
(Nothing depends on what anyone thinks, if it is not politics. Politics is the only place that has nothing to do with the mind, and it is opinion alone that determines everything.)

I use uBlock Origin and Privacy Badger to block ads/tracking.

If you're worried about Google tracking via Chrome - then use a different browser. Edge is based off of Chromium (what Chrome is based off of), so that would give you a similar experience. There's also FireFox and Vivaldi, 2 other popular browsers.

If you don't have an ecosystem that revolves around using Chrome and integrated Google services then I suggest using the new Edge browser (not the default dark blue icon, just Google Edge Chromium to see the difference). It has most all the same features now but it just isn't as bloated as regular Chrome. No matter what machine I'm on Chrome has seriously started to bog down lately. I had 9 tabs up Thursday and was replying to a Youtube comment on my work machine with 64GB of RAM and the typing started lagging with no reason to do so. Closed out of Chrome and reopened, problem fixed. I've started noticing these little quirks lately.

As to Adblocking Chrome has one built in but IMO it sucks. You still get all the usual ads so I second the motion to use uBlock Origin.

Hi, Ublock Origin is fantastic, but AdGuard(System-Wide) is a notch better IMHO.;)
I also use Privacy Badger in Google Chrome & Edge Chromium, I think Microsoft has really improved in the Browser War, and because of that Edge is my standard browser.:)

I prefer to have less software installed on my system unless it's required, and I definitely don't want AV/etc type software running on my machine unless I use it for my 6 month scan.

Back
Top Bottom