Active directory

Celticsfan

Banned
Hi, I have active directory installed on my 2003 server. I also have windows 2000 pro installed on another. The question I have is how do I set up a network so that 2000 machine can connect and logon to my 2003 server via AD? I appreciate any help.

Have you created a domain on the 2k3 box? Is the 2k box set up to access that domain?

That's your starting point. Set the 2k3 Server up as a domain controller and set the 2k box up so it can connect to said domain. You'll also want to put the 2k box into an Active Directory container so it's authorised to connect (you need the hostname of it).

I don't know much about Active Directory and I'm kinda tired, so sorry if this doesn't make any sense or is wrong :p

so on the windows 2003 box you've run dcpromo to set it up as a domain controller,

(or used the server roles screen to choose it as a domain controller).

you have all the necessary instally, to make it a domain controller and it's up and working as a domain controller.

now what you need to do is go to the w2k box.

right click on your "my computer" icon, select properties.

go to the computer name tab.

and in the bit where it says "is a member of" work group.

click domain and add the domain name that you added on the 2k3 server.

press OK,

enter the domain admin username and password to add the box to the domain.

restart.

now the w2k box is on the domain and you should be able to log onto it using a username from the domain.

Yes, so far I have run dcpromo on server. I will continue with root post later today. Thx so far for the help. Much appreciated.

so on the windows 2003 box you've run dcpromo to set it up as a domain controller,

(or used the server roles screen to choose it as a domain controller).

you have all the necessary instally, to make it a domain controller and it's up and working as a domain controller.

There's more to configuring a domain controller than just running dcpromo. I mean, if you're going to be running DHCP, or have the server handle DNS, you got to set that stuff up as well ... no?

How do you figure the 2000 pro box will connect if it doesn't know where the server is ... i.e. default gateway / dns? Either DHCP and DNS should be configured or the 2000 pro box needs to be statically assigned an IP configuration on the same subnet as the server 2003 box. Then when you go about attempting to join your client pc to the domain ... it'll have a server on the subnet willing to reply.

if they are on the same network and both using dhcp then surely the dns and default gateway will already be correct?

Yeah ... that's a big "if" though. It hasn't been discussed as to where the IP configuration is coming from via DHCP or static ... from a router or the domain controller.

DNS would be on the server.

this is a required component for being a domain controller...

I assume that since the OP says he's got the domain controller sorted already that he's already installed pre-requist services.

DHCP could either be installed or not installed.

if you don't have DHCP supplied by your router (assuming it's attached to the router) you can choose to install it on the Domin Controller, or another machine, or set the addresses manually on each machine.

DNS would be on the server.

this is a required component for being a domain controller...

Yep ... however, if the 2000 box is receiving it's ip configuration from a router, it's not going to know about the DNS server on the 2003 box (which is required for the 2000 box to logon and be posted as a computer in the computer OU of AD, especially when you're telling your 2000 box to join "newdomain.com"). The 2000 box is going to go out on the internet looking for "newdomain.com" because it doesn't know that it needs to use the private subnet address for the DNS server (2003 box IP address) to access it. You literally have to "spoon-feed" the info to the 2000 box as to where to go to be able to join the domain.

So ... either the router is configured with the server 2003 box's ip address as a preferred DNS server ... or the Server 2000 box is configured statically with the FIRST preferred DNS server being the 2003 box ip address.

***Note *** It's a known best practice to install the DNS service and configuring prior to running DCPROMO.

Ok, I setup my 2003 server with AD. I setup dns on it as well. I, also, have my 2k pro setup with dns. The question I have now is when I logon to my 2k pro it automatically log right on to my desktop. It doesn't ask me to enter a logon id, password or a domain. How do I solve this so it will so I can verify that I am connected to server 2003? I appreciate any help.

thx

PS...this is the set up on my 2000 machine.

1. R click on my computer and go to properties
2. Select Name tab an and I enter the computer name of that computer.
3. Select the domain radio button and type in your domain name. Example would be Sports.com
4. Click OK but it does not take.

1. Right click on My Network Places and select properties
2. Right click on Local Area connection and select Properties
3. Highlite Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and select properties tab
4. Under general
A) Listed is IP address 192.168.15.AAA (AAA is actually a numerical value)
B) Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
C) Default Gateway 192.168.15.A (A is actually a numerical value) and is the IP of router
D) Preferred DNS Server 192.168.15.A (A is actually a numerical value) and is the IP of router
E) Click on advanced and select DNS tab and enter 92.168.15.A (A is actually a numerical value) and is the IP of router

this is the set up on my 2003 machine.

1. R click on my computer and go to properties
2. Select Name tab an and I see the FullComputername.sports.com and below that I see sports.com

1. Right click on My Network Places and select properties
2. Right click on Local Area connection and select Properties
3. Highlite Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and select properties tab
4. Under general
A) Listed is IP address 192.168.15.AAB (AAB is actually a numerical value)
B) Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
C) Default Gateway 192.168.15.A (A is actually a numerical value) and is the IP of router
D) Preferred DNS Server 192.168.15.A (A is actually a numerical value) and is the IP of router
E) Alternate DNS Server 192.168.15.AAA (AAA is actually a numerical value) and is the IP of 2000 machine
F) Click on advanced and select DNS tab and enter 192.168.15.A (A is actually a numerical value) and is the IP of router
and also there is 192.168.15.AAA (AAA is actually a numerical value) and is the IP of 2000 machine

What else needs to be done on 2000 machine or to my 2003 server to connect to my 2003 server?

PSS.. One of my other computers not connected in the network will still be receiving it's IP via DHCP but it is still connected to the same router. Will this be an issue?

Back
Top Bottom