Acta?

I've been hearing all about this on various locations on the internet, i did some research on it but i still cant make any sense of it? Could Someone please explain it?

While little information has been made available by the governments negotiating ACTA, a document recently leaked to the public entitled "Discussion Paper on a Possible Anti-counterfeiting Trade Agreement" from an unknown source gives an indication of what content industry rightsholder groups appear to be asking for – including new legal regimes to "encourage ISPs to cooperate with right holders in the removal of infringing material", criminal measures, and increased border search powers. The Discussion Paper leaves open how Internet Service Providers should be encouraged to identify and remove allegedly infringing material from the Internet. However the same industry rightsholder groups that support the creation of ACTA have also called for mandatory network-level filtering by Internet Service Providers and for Internet Service Providers to terminate citizens' Internet connection on repeat allegation of copyright infringement (the "Three Strikes" /Graduated Response), so there is reason to believe that ACTA will seek to increase intermediary liability and require these things of Internet Service Providers. While mandating copyright filtering by ISPs will not be technologically effective because it can be defeated by use of encryption, efforts to introduce network level filtering will likely involve deep packet inspection of citizens' Internet communications. This raises considerable concerns for citizens' civil liberties and privacy rights, and the future of Internet innovation.

Great, more internet spying and power to the ISP's. While I personally have nothing to worry about, I'm big on privacy and this looks to go too far in the way of giving ISPs the ability to scan traffic. I guess my quesiton is, how will ISPs have the ability to remove content hosted on the web? And what's with the "Three strike" Policy mentioned in the article? Three strikes of internet piracy and you no longer get the interwebz??? Or maybe that's when Uncle Sam comes a knockin on your door. While I agree on some avenues with the agreement in the way of stopping infringement, they're really starting to shoot too many hostages trying to get the gunmen.

Back
Top Bottom