Acronyms.

SheikZ

Baseband Member
I know someone who actually comes on to boards that are specifically for computers should know these, but I don't know them all, so I thought I'd make a thread for it to put on my bookmarks :D:D:D

RAM: Random Access Memory
CPU:
GPU:

At the moment, I can't think of anymore I have trouble with, but if any of you think of any, please feel free to post them!:D

CPU: Centeral Processing Unit (commonly called a processor)
PSU: Power supply
GPU: Graphics Processing Unit (Video Card)
Mobo: Motherboard
HDD: Hard Drive
LAN: Local Area Network

those are all the ones i can think of off the top of my head. not sure which one(s) you need, but hey, theres more to the list now if you didn't need all of them.

anyone know what "imo" means? i've seen it alot on evga's forum.

SheikZ said:
I know someone who actually comes on to boards that are specifically for computers should know these, but I don't know them all, so I thought I'd make a thread for it to put on my bookmarks :D:D:D

RAM: Random Access Memory
CPU:
GPU:

At the moment, I can't think of anymore I have trouble with, but if any of you think of any, please feel free to post them!:D
CPU - Central Processing Unit (the processor)
GPU - Graphics Processing Unit (the processor in the graphics card)

lol imo means "in my opinion"

heres some off the top of my head

SD:secure digital
CF:compact flash
RW:re writable
USB:universial serial bus
AGP:accelerated graphics port

haha three of us posted at the same time....

oh, one i've thought of:

FDD: Floppy Disk Drive

Thank you guys so much! I didn't think anyone would take this seriously and I'd have to find them everytime I didn't know one. :D

PS, some of these I didn't even know existed until I made this, so I know I made it for a reason!

celegorm said:
HDD = Hard Drive

Sorry for being picky (i'm a geek what can i say :p), but it's Hard Disk Drive..or for us Aussies, Hard Disc Drive.
To help you out, go to google.com and type in define: HDD for example, and it should give you a definition of what it means, good for things you quickly wanna know

Some Others:

PSU: Power Supply Unit
Mobo: Motherboard
PCI: [size=-1]Peripheral Component Interconnect
^^ haha wanted to know that and just Googled it :p
[/size] I'll add others when i think of them

Matt

EDIT: Sorry, i can't read didn't notice PSU and Mobo are already listed..

lol its ok. as for the HDD, i have seen it both ways. The most common way i have seen it is just Hard drive, but there are still manuals and sites that list it as Hard Disk Drives.

either way, its the same thing, just two different, but correct, ways of saying it.

Back
Top Bottom