Acer Notebook Died ?

Myron1

Baseband Member
Suddenly, the display turned bright white on my Acer notebook, Inspire 7736Z-4015 after 3 years of use; followed by a complete shutdown. Recently, warnings appeared that I had no free Disc Space left so I tried eliminating unneeded apps. I even put a 16GB memory unit to speed-up performance. Also, warnings appeared that the battery needs replacement but by using the AC Adapter, I was able to continue use. Is the problem that the battery completely died so the unit shut-down? Wouldn't using the AC Adapter have kept the power running? I hate to purchase a new battery if the battery isn't the real problem. Any thoughts?

So you can still use the computer. Will it boot at all with the battery inserted?

Wouldn't using the AC Adapter have kept the power running? I hate to purchase a new battery if the battery isn't the real problem. Any thoughts?

The computer should have kept running.
If you take out the battery while the computer are running and have the AC adapter plugged in, it will keep running. You see the power goes to the system before the battery.

Still if the computer says that there are something wrong with the battery it's wise to get a new one. Getting a new battery will also increase the time the computer can be away from charger if it's an older laptop. Batteries looses capacity over time.

I even put a 16GB memory unit to speed-up performance

Are you talking about ready boost? It's a waste if you don't use a fast device. Like a USB 3 Flash drive. In Windows 7 Microsoft even removed the option in the "what to do with the device" menu that pups up when a USB is inserted. You can still use it in Windows versions newer than Vista.

Last edited:
No. The unit is dead with the battery or without it just on DC power cord. The power on button is unlit. I cannot re-boot as nothing appears on-screen. What could be the problem? Did something burn-out? No smell of smoke; it just died!

Could be your charger. Try taking the battery out and leaving the charger in and booting.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Computer Forums mobile app

He did try that.
But yeah, it could be. That explains why he can't boot with the charger, and the battery will not recharge because of it.

Do you have another charger you can try? Borrow one from a friend.
If it doesn't work with another charger i am afraid some hardware is fried.

Before it died did you have any clock errors or was your computer always displaying the wrong time?

I would try changing your CMOS battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Forums

Last edited:
Take it to your nearest electronics store, frys, MicroCenter, best buy, etc. they will most likely have a an AC adapter you can use to test if it's your AC adapter that is dead...

Back
Top Bottom