Acer Aspire One upgrade question

Status
Not open for further replies.

aceruser

Beta member
I have an acer aspire one AOD250-0BW and its running real slow. I'm planning to back up my drive and upgrade the operating system to Windows XP Pro. My friend said that I should first check whether it supports the OS because he has been recently receiving errors during installations of several other netbooks that end in a blue screen. I'm not quite sure why he's getting a blue screen but I don't believe its the netbook itself with the problem. Him and I are both part of the Microsoft IT Academy and have access to several OS's for free. My acer currently runs Home edition but has too much junk programs slowing it down. I would like to know if it is possible to wipe out and install my acer with xp pro since I have often needed several of its features?

Thanks a lot for all who help!

Don't expect a netbook to be your laptop alternative. It'll never happen. Most likely, the answer is, too many programs running in the background, and/or spyware/malware. Most netbooks have a limit of 2GB RAM, and at most a dual core Atom. They can't handle as much as your everyday desktop or laptop can.

Run CCleaner and Malwarebytes. Go to run and type msconfig, startup tab. Anything you don't need or have no idea what it is, uncheck it.

If it is running XP Home, it can run XP Pro. It's the same beast, just with more administration privileges.

It's not an alternative it was a reward for some tutoring program. I did install a lot of programs and erased some but still ran slowly I ran Eraser to delete some files and it's running far more smoothly now it probably got rid of something that was using up too much processing. whatever it did i'm glad it did it. I figured that I could upgrade but my friend said something about it but I think he was just babbling nonsense. I will probably get CCleaner soon and I believe I have malwarebytes but I shall check again nonetheless. The problem with using msconfig is that I'm not entirely sure whether the process is something necessary since the XP console doesn't exactly tell me what anything is.

Thank you for the help it is very much appreciated

Anything you disable in msconfig, can be enabled again. Anything in the startup list are not core system files. They are processes that you put on, knowingly or not. You can disable everything and still have a working system.

Show us a screenshot, if you're not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom