Academic Degrees

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said this in another thread but my college has more requests from employers than they have students so I would say it isn't close to dying at all.

Computer engineering is just straight math...

It's what I'm in at the moment.

Calc 1-4, Linear Analisys, and Stats.

If you go to a 4-year college, your first 2 years will be all basics: math, english, etc. Junior/senior years are where you work more on what you actually went into do. Grades...they're always important.

Are the classes I take and grades I got in my freshman & sophomore year important?

Take as much math as you can and build a strong foundation.

Grades don't really matter as long as you keep a reasonable GPA and do well on SAT and ACT testing.

Take as much math as you can and build a strong foundation.

Grades don't really matter as long as you keep a reasonable GPA and do well on SAT and ACT testing.

So, If I get over 3.5 out of 4 or 5 all my classes together that would be a great GPA and anything between 3.5-3 is a good GPA?

What are average scores on SAT and ACT?

Clubs too!

School clubs or technology clubs?

Prototype, I would highly recommend checking out a career forum such as indeed.com and asking some questions or looking into good jobs and degree's to target. Clearly, your interested in computers so just a couple hours of research on a good computer career forum would take you far towards planning your future.

You know with a $50K salary you can afford a $250K home right??

Absolutely not. Financial advisors state that your mortgage payments should be 1/3 of your take home pay. $50K is take home of about $38K. If you put 10K down on the house, get a really low interest rate your still at about $1575 w/ taxes, that is about 1/2 of your take home pay. Wouldn't have enough money to have kids (sounds funny I know but considering the hospital bill is 5-10K at least plus first year expenses are around 7K)

My fiance and I have a household income over $120K and we would be miserable with a $250k home due to student loan debt, car payments, food & money for eating out, clothes, cable, b-day gifts & Christmas gifts, home repairs, upgrading my computer (I could buy a 3.0ghz quad core crossfire rig but saving money to go back to school and running a P4 for goodness sakes), etc etc etc plus retirement.

Plan on having kids?

The key is don't go into debt and pay cash for everything, I'm going back to school to get a job I'm happier with and making more money but going further into debt in the process.

I don't know about you but I would like a decent house to have as my own when I retire and just be able to relax and play some golf. Or when I have kids to be able to pay for their school.

Is $1 Million Enough to Retire On? - US News and World Report

Uncle Macdawgs message in this tangent:

1. Research your career field well you don't want to be unhappy with your job and go back to school like I am.

2. Pay cash, save money, be disciplined about saving money.

So while we talk about this kind of stuff... can we discuss ways to study for A+ Certification?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom