AC Repair issue?

sniperviper21

Golden Master
Ok so the origonal plug on my window unit AC broke, fried or w.e

So I cut the dead plug off an now need a new plug which is where I'm lost. What is the right size plug to use so I don't cause a fire? Anything special to know? I thk its a 5500 BTU unit

Helpfull post get rep for sure, dying of heat..

Take the plug to your local hardware or electrical supply shop, tell them what it's for, and they should hook you up with a new one.

There's nothing much left of it. But I can try..

Kinda hoping to get it fixed tonight. Can't go to a store till tomorrow unless its Walmart tonight lol

Besides they will probably try to sell me a new one cuz there aholes. Can't stand any kind of salesman lol

Most hardware stores I've been to don't have salesmen. They have people that are there to help you get what you need. You can try something like a Lowe's or Home Depot too. Not sure if Walmart carries replacement plugs. They might have a cheap heavy duty extension cord that you could cut the plug off of.

Everything I found online called for a 5-15P plug, not sure if that helps.

Edit: Type A 15 Amp is the consensus. What is the model of your AC?

its a GE, 5500 BTU AC,

though i found a heavy duty replacement plug at Walmart for 8$, so far its working fine.

Question,

IS this safe...

AC is plugged into an extension cord, which goes to the wall outlet

the SAME outlet has one of them 50$ surge protectors on there, an on the surge protector my TV, Tower, Monitor, surround sound and stereo is on there to. Tho my monitor, tower, an maybe my TV is on at the same time if that.

Is it easy to overload a 110V AC wall outlet to cause fire?

my lights arnt flickering either so.
and this is the only AC outlet in my room.

EDIT: well the lights in my room dim for a second when the AC kicks on but thats it.

safe?

im not so great with house wiring lol

If it's a heavy duty extension cord, you should be okay, but I would try to avoid coiling the extra if possible...it'll usually get quite hot. Overloading an outlet has nothing to do with the voltage (110) really; it's more to do with how many amps is on the particular circuit. That outlet is probably on the same circuit as other outlets. I try my best to run larger appliances (microwave, mini fridge, A/C) on different circuits from other electronics (like my computer/TV).

Are you in a house or apt? If you can find the circuit breaker, you could test which outlets are on what circuits and see if there's a lightly loaded circuit that you can put the A/C on. That's your best bet. The circuit breaker would also list the amperage on the line for each circuit. In our area, our breakers are usually 15 to 30 amp, depending on what it's used for. I know that our kitchen has the refrigerator, mic, and stove on their own (combined) 30 amp.

I have my window unit on it's own separate 40 amp breaker, and it uses every last bit of it. It may be because its a 220 volt AC with 28,000 BTUs (yep... 28,000) but hey it cools my entire house and is pretty cheap to run.

ah i see,

an this is a house turned into an Apt.

Though each room has only one outlet

Kitchen has the Microwave, Dining room has the Fridge, an then theres my room.

Mmmmm...

The unit draws about 5 amps and you need a NEMA 1-15 USA 2 pin or NEMA 1-15 USA 3 pin depending on whether it's a 2 or 3 pin socket. And i'm sure they are rated at 15 amps.

Back
Top Bottom