AC cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1gapl

Mod Emeritus
Summer is coming and its getting very humid, and I was thinking of putting a duct from my AC to my comp. Not into the intake fan but through the mesh grills where the opticals would be. Would I have to worry about anything, like condensation?

I would worry about condensation because the air in your box will be extremely hot and humid most of the time. when your A/C clicks on, cold air will be ramed into your hot box... condesation will probably form. if your house is kept pretty cool and dry, u might not have that problem. the issue is that you'r a/c probably isnt running most of the time and your pc need to be cooled constantly.

hey cwiz- your sig is way too big.....i would advise taking some of that out before trotter removes it permanently, lol just a warning.

on topic- lol you a have a aerocool case, with a 120mm fan on the front, i think your computer is fine. i would be more worried about myself. and what do you leave the windows open or something. it cant be that hot in there.

b1gapl said:
Summer is coming and its getting very humid, and I was thinking of putting a duct from my AC to my comp. Not into the intake fan but through the mesh grills where the opticals would be. Would I have to worry about anything, like condensation?
Depends on how good your AC is. Most chuck out too much moisture, which will lead to condensation. Plus, as the case cools and the air outside remains humid, condensation will form.

Either way, your idea will only work if one: your case is at least moderately insulated to retain the benifit of the cold air, and two: you find some way of directing that cold air towards the components that need it (namely your chip and graphics card(s)). Just cooling the air in the case down doesn't do too much.

A better alternative would be to use your AC as a cooler for a water-cooling system. If you're close enough to your AC unit, that would help. If not, you can setup some coils in the AC vent.

Yea, that is what I have been working on since my last AC unit experiment, I plan on having a 3x120mm radiator sitting right accross the vent with some very powerfull fans on it to suck the air right thru the radiator and out into the room, keeps room cool, and water in line at 36F... just above freezing

Well now I just have the AC on the whole day to cool the room, I guess it could bring down the temps a little. I'm forgetting about that whole ducting from AC to comp. I was just thinking of it, and wanted to find out opinions.

Personally I wouldn't waste air conditioning on that. It would be too ugly and too hard to do. That's my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom