about upgrading ide to sata HDD

Solid State Member
i currently have a ~75gb maxtor ata100 hdd in my computer. i am considering upgrading to a higher capacity SATA hard drive. i am assuming because i have the SATA drivers installed within windows (after windows setup) that it will work fine if i upgrade the same way as ide-ide. the thing i am worried about is that the drivers might not work when installed that way. i have nothing to lose by trying it when i buy the hdd, but i am wondering if i will have to re install or if it will work fine like that. i wouldnt mind re installing but would prefer to just clone the drive. if it works correctly i will just wipe the old hard drive for data storage usage. i am using the asus m2npv-mx motherboard which has an nforce 430 chipset, windows xp and the bios is the latest version available. i think the bios has an option to decide what is the "first hard drive" - but i will physically remove the ide harddrive after the cloning.

yeah it should be fine assuming you have sata connections on your motherboard and a sata power cable as most sata drives dont come with power connector

you should use a program like norton ghost to copy it

i am also thinking about upgrading to SATA. sorry for hijaking thread :p im just wondering if my old seagate 120gb IDE HDD would work with one of the new WD 250gb SATA HDD. i have all the drivers installed and SATA power cable.

Back
Top Bottom