AAC to MP3

Starr

Daemon Poster
Ok, I've had an iPod since the beginning of my mp3 days but I am now switching over to the Creative Zen after my iPod died. I have had some issues with the iPod and I just got sick of sending it back to get fixed. One teenie little problem. My entire library is in AAC 128kbps. What I need to know is if I encode it all into MP3 128kbps using the iPod encoder will I notice much of a difference in sound quality?

With AAC, I'm not sure how good the compression is.

Though converting n 128kbps AAC file to an 128bps MP3 file, when the AAC file has already converted it prior to the next conversion, you definietly won't get a boost in sound quality from one to the other since its already been converted the once into another format.

Increasing the bitrate now by the way wouldn't increase the sound quality either of course, because your more likely only to create extra noise, and a bigger size on the file, since its already been encoded into 128kbps.

But I doubt MP3 is any worse than AAC, so, more likely, you won't encounter any difference what so ever from swapping.

The only way you would, would be if the MP3 conversion was worse than AAC, in which case, you'd get a worse sound, but I doubt this, so it should just be a simple process.

If your not sure how to do it though, Itunes can. You just go into Edit, Preferences, and go to Advanced, and then the Importing tab.
Make it import songs in the MP3 format, at what ever bitrate you like, and then press to accept.

If you then right click a file, it should have "convert selection to MP3".

I hope this helps :)

Yea, I'm using iTunes to convert them. I needed to know if it was gonna sound like crap because if it was I could redo my CD collection which would not be fun and I need it done by the end of the week so I was hoping this would work. I converted one of the songs to mp3 and it didn't sound any worse. Thanks for the help.

Thats alright then :)

The conversion process since MP3 is probably a bit better, since its been tuned for longer, means you probably wouldn't notice a difference at all, so thats good :)

I'd rip new tracks though to 192kbps for the best sound, as I think thats the best quality/vs size point.

Well done by the way for choosing Creative :p
Check out Iaudio too. They have great sound, and are better than Creative to tell the truth, but there players in terms of looks tend to have alot to be desired.

Kage said:
Thats alright then :)

The conversion process since MP3 is probably a bit better, since its been tuned for longer, means you probably wouldn't notice a difference at all, so thats good :)

I'd rip new tracks though to 192kbps for the best sound, as I think thats the best quality/vs size point.

Well done by the way for choosing Creative :p
Check out Iaudio too. They have great sound, and are better than Creative to tell the truth, but there players in terms of looks tend to have alot to be desired.

I did look at those but I really don't dig the joystick. It just doesn't look right. There is one player from Philips that looks neat, a few tweaks and it can turn out to be a really good player.

Yeah, thats what I meant by the player, but the functions/sound is second to none :)

There getting better though at producing good looking players though that function well also. i.e, their new 4gb hard drive player, with the touch slider controller looks really good.

The reason I like the sound is the soudn features, for instance Mac3 Bass is excellent for sound quality, which doesn't mess up any of the other signals.

Back
Top Bottom