A quick stupid question

The Amish Kid

Fully Optimized
Ok Im helping my friend out right now and he has a pretty old computer. Right now he has 256mb of memory. Im not at his house but he has cpu-z open and it says its dual channel. So im assuming that means he has 128mb x 2. Well he would be abale to put a 512mb module in with that right? Im not sure how many open memory slots he has open. Im guessing all of them are filled because its an older computer. So basically im asking he could use a 512mb stick with a 128mb one right? I know this is a really stupid question but I dont want to tell him a wrong answer.

EDIT: Well we just figured out he has 4 slots. So he could just put the 512mb stick in with the two 128's right?

no such thing as a stupid question. but that one was stupid. haha jking, anyway, no he cant unfortunately :( . you cant mix and match different ram sizes. if ur gonna put in a 512, you gotta stick in another 512.

if it only has one ram stick in there.. it works.. because thats how dual channels work .. or so far as i'm aaware... you can JUST stick the ONE 512 and i think it'll run.. but anyway, no mix and match :) happy gaming!

oh, i never knew that acekrn...but you can mix and match sizes with single channel right? this is the first time i heard this....i'm thinking that rule only applies to dual-channel...can someone fill me in with this as well?

Are you sure? I have heard of people putting a 256mb stick with a 512mb one. Actaully Im pretty sure there is a member here who has that.

I know it willnt run dual channel though. Im just not sure if you can run two 128mb's with a 512mb one.

u cant mix different sizes for dual channel, for single channel u can put in anythin u want but try to make sure its the same manufacturer

gaming_freak said:
u cant mix different sizes for dual channel, for single channel u can put in anythin u want but try to make sure its the same manufacturer
Ok thats what I thought I just wasnt 100% sure

Back
Top Bottom