A question, if I may..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piney

In Runtime
I see a frequent techie post to "delete the prefetch *folder*", not just the contents. I did pm to ask why, but received no reply. I wonder why the entire folder and not just the contents?

Thanks to anyone responding

Piney

Hello,
That is usually posted by me. I say delete the contents mainly because if windows messes up, then it may not restore this neat little folder. THen i would be at fault.. couldn't pentalize me but id feel bad :).
-blitze

PS
you did not PM me did you??

I keep thinking of things to add... sorry.

The other thing is this: "a question if i may." Don't be scared to ask! It'll make you smarter!

Just as long as people don't see me as a smart @** ;)

My concern with deleting the folder, I wasn't sure the darn thing would come back, with the next boot up. I know the recommendation is to not delete the contents *often* but not found what is considered too often. I do have my clients delete the contents if they are compromised and I want to be sure we can get a fresh handle on things.

hoooooraaaaaaaaahhhhh I learn new things everyday:)

ty ty ty for the kind response:)

I don't see why you would need to delete the prefetch folder

i sometimes have the persone delete whats inside but never the folder

Lobos

Sorry about that Piney, I seen that you pm'ed me, but my popup blocker has blocked it here at home but not here at work. It dont matter if you delete the folder or the file, after you reboot, the folder comes back with new files in it. It just one less step to take. And why to delete every once in awhile.... This is an unique technique for WinXP. We know that it is necessary to wash registry and TEMP files for Win9X/ME/2000 periodly. Prefetch is a new and very useful technique in Windows XP. However, after using XP some time, the prefetch folder can get full of rarely used or obsolete links which can slow down your computer noticeably. My suggestion is: open C(system drive):/windows/prefetch, delete all files (or at least those more than 3 weeks old), reboot. I recommended that you do this every month. I do this about once a week personally. It up to you if you want to delete the folder ot just the files them selves. Did this help you out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom