A question about my DVD R/RW Drives

jasonbourne

Baseband Member
I have two DVD R/RW Drives installed on my computer system. I normally use Nero 6.6 to make me some audio CDs whether they are data audio CDs to play in my car or your regular audio CDs. For some reason though, my maximum writing to a CD is only 4x. Yet if I were to burn a DVD, I can write up to 40x. On my buddies E-Series gateway desktop (the older PCs) he can create audio CDs faster than my machine. Here are ny specs:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Duel Core Processor 4600+
2.41 GHz
2GB of Ram
250GB Hard Drive
80GB Hard Drive
Windows XP Home
Nvidia GeForce 7600 GT 256 MB PCI-E (2 DVI)
SoundBlaster Audigy SE Sound Card

Now I figured that maybe its my DVD drives so I went and bought a brand new one from Walmart and installed it. It does the samething. I can only burn at 4x when making an audio CD.

The current CD media I'm using is CD-RWs. Does that affect my burning speeds or something?

Check what speed the discs are (eg.1x-8x). Cd rw discs tend to have slower writing speeds as opposed to cd-r. Also, look for the speeds at which your burner writes at. For example, if you have a 52x cd-r but your burner writes at 40x, then obviously your will be burning discs at only 40x max for cd-r.

Do you mean 40x for CDs and 4x for DVDs? I'm pretty sure there's no burner out there that can burn DVDs at 40x. The fastest ones are 22x.

But you probably need discs that support a faster speed.

Ok I feel dumb. I guess I need to get in the habit of reading the labels. The CD-RWs burn up to 4x. But that still doesn't explain why my buddies gateway E-series computer creates audio CDs on CD-RWs faster than mine. We both have the same exact DVD-R/RW burner.

Back
Top Bottom