A key switch, turn it with a key!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Him

Fully Optimized
Someone know where I could get a little switch that you can only switch using a key? I want to put a CMOS reset switch on the outside of my case, but I have some dumb and rude friends who would flick it while the comp is on just to be assholes. So if i use a key, they wont be able to. You know what I'm saying? Maybe I'll use two, put the on opposite sides of the room, and they have to be turned simultaneously. And then you have to use a retna scan, and piss in a cup...

No but seriously, any ideas? I want a switch with a security measure on it.

If you find one, let us know. I dont know of one, but not only would that be nice for security, but would just be pimp. Let us know.

Maybe you could just gut an ignition from a car and hook that up, heh. That would be cool for a startup button.

Go find one of those mega old cases with the turbo switch on it. They have wires that should fit right over the cmos jumpers. That is a really cool idea.

You'd have to do a little case moding, but you prolly already figured that. Course, if you do happen to find a case, just hope that it does come with the key :D

lev2323 said:
Maybe you could just gut an ignition from a car and hook that up, heh. That would be cool for a startup button.

I could get one of those huge circuit breakers that mad scientists have in old B movies, and mount that on my wall. One where the stich is like 7 feet long, and I need to hang on it do make it move. THAT would be pimp.

Ya, that would be cool! At least you would never have to worry about accidentally hitting the switch. I just say go for a finger print reader, those are easy enough to get, heh. BTW, turbo button on those old rigs is a good idea, I may have to try that myself.

I'm not seriously going to go with a fingerprinter reader, thats ridiculous. I mean, it would be cool to have, but in reality? I dont know. Especially a fingerprint reader to turn on a switch. That would require a dedicated computer just to be able to read the switch. But I'm gonna get my hands on a key switch one way or another.

Key switches are very cheap, from most places that sell electronic components. They do exactly what you want.

Yeah I figured they would only be a couple of bucks, but I have been having some difficulty locating one. I'll try harder...

Oh damn, I barely had to do any searching at all! I even found a friggen tutorial to install one in place of your power switch. I wanted to have a bunch of toggle switches on my case used for various things, but keyswitches.... Oh damn, so many things. I guess I will have to make several cases!

I dunno. he car ignition sounds cool to me.

Imagine this... No one can use your comp without the key. Insert the key and turn it past the on position to "crank" the comp, and then leave it in the on position. Turn the key to the off position and remove to lock up the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom