A hard task for you - recovering local administrator password with no BIOS access

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatMyBible

Beta member
So, I had to send my original schoolcomputer in for repairing. My, very rude, I might add, IT-staff at school did not include local admin for the temporary computer. I did try to ask him for local admin, as I need to change certain network-settings in order for my update my network-drivers.

When asking the IT-staff for local admin, reasoning with the fact that I cannot access the internet properly due to the drivers not being uptodate, they simply wrote me off, saying that I didn't need it. They did, however, challenge me get local admin, claiming that they wouldn't care as long as I didn't cause any harm to the computer.

I have a normal local user, connected to the schooldomain. It is still connected to the domain-name after leaving the schoolnetwork, where my username is DOMAIN\username. I am not able to access BIOS, do any changes in group policy or system32, and naturally, all the CMD-commands we did at junior high when we were twelve does not work. The BIOS is set to automatically boot from the HDD; thus any tricks involving .iso files and CD/USB-drives will not work.

How should I go about recovering, resetting or removing the local administrator password?

I am using Windows 7.

You can't, your PC is connected to the domain so your account is locked down tight. Unless you get the credentials of an administrator, get a local account OR add your account to the domain admin group you are screwed.

You can't even remove it from the domain because that requires admin credentials.

It's not your PC in the first place, you are playing by their rules and you have to since it's not your equipment to F up. If you have a legit issue with updating driver or accessing internet then bring that up to the school - if they can't fix it for you or give you the tools to fix it yourself let your school admin know why you couldn't do any school work. That is, until you get your PC back.

Tech-Forums is here for informative purposes only. We are not here to help bypass, or otherwise negate, security or any other measures put in place by a Employer, School or Parent. We are not here to do your school work for you either. We will help explain results or help you to find information to get results but we will not flat out give answers to homework or school work questions. School is for learning. Getting the answers handed to you is not going to help anyone in the end. Any topic of such matter will be instantly closed.

Yeah that says it all right from our Rules. Would have saved you loads of time if you read them from the get go like you said you did when you registered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom