A Closer Look At Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
A Closer Look At Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2http://www.ghacks.net/2008/08/28/a-closer-look-at-internet-explorer-8-beta-2/

I was pretty excited about the release of Internet Explorer 8 beta 2 by the Internet Explorer development team yesterday. If you would have asked me before that day I would have never agreed that a new Internet Explorer version could be exciting. But that version is full of surprises.
It seems that they have taken a good look around in the browser market and analyzed the crown jewels of the other browsers integrating them into the new Internet Explorer 8 Beta. This begins when starting Internet Explorer 8 for the first time. It asks you if you want to import bookmarks from either Firefox or Opera into the Microsoft browser. Something unthinkable in the past, at least at such a prominent position and location in the browser.
Bookmark import is fluent and Internet Explorer 8 does not seem to have a problem importing Firefox 3 bookmarks. That's good. Internet Explorer 8 features an add-on browser similar to that of Firefox with the exception that you cannot search for add-ons in the menu itself. It does list all the installed toolbars, plugins and add-ons though which is great for getting a quick overview and disabling them.

Memory Footprint:
The memory footprint of Internet Explorer 8 is surprisingly low, using only half of the computer memory and virtual memory that Firefox 3 uses under similar circumstances.
Internet Explorer 8 Address Bar:
The new address bar which incorporates auto suggestions, the history, bookmarks and feeds looks clean and tidy which I personally like better than the display all mixed that Firefox 3 uses. The only negative aspect are the light colors that are used, it is hard to read for the eyes. Could be related to the Windows colors that I'm using on my system though.

Find On Page:
Another handy feature is the advanced find on page option that displays the number of occurrences of a term on a website. That's handy if you are scrolling through a source code or large website and want to find a specific item. This enhanced feature is also highlighting all finds on the page at once which is great for a quick overview and orientation.

Tab Groups:
Internet Explorer will color tabs with a similar color if a user opens a link from an existing tab making it easy to distinguish websites and information.

Undo Close Tabs / Restore Sessions:
Internet Explorer comes with features to reopen tabs that have been closed by the user.

Enhanced Search:
The search box is now showing real time suggestions including images plus it includes the user's favorites and browsing history.

Accelerators:
Accelerators are functions to use services of other websites on the current page. It reminds me a bit of Ubiquity with the difference that Accelerators are individual services that have to be activated. Accelerators are installed like add-ons and provide access to popular services like Stumbleupon, Facebook or Google Maps.

Web Slices:
Web Slices are items that can be placed in the Internet Explorer Favorites Bar who update themselves automatically. This can be news related, new items on eBay or Amazon, weather information or practically anything that is updated regularly.

Security:
Security has taken a major step in the right direction. Internet Explorer 8 comes with a Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) filter, Domain highlighting, Per-site and Per-user ActiveX and Data execution prevention.
InPrivate Browsing was introduced which allows to surf the web without storing data about that session in the browser.
Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2 shows lots of promise. The version is feature complete which means that there will be no additional features in the release candidates and final release version of Internet Explorer 8.

I have to agree. After working with IE8B2 all last night i am very impressed. I might end up going back to IE if they can get it to render faster. It already renders Java 7X faster than IE7. But it is still roughly half that of Firefox 3 and Opera.

Cheers,
Mak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom